Can we have it all?

iVillage Member
Can we have it all?
Wed, 07-09-2008 - 2:31pm

Here are some random ponderings from someone who's plotting out her next step in life . . . I'd love to hear your thoughts and/or stories from what you all did at similar points in life.

If we know that writing is our dream job, do we have to justify ourselves by having a

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2008 - 6:47pm

Unfortunately, though most of us would love to live in our dream worlds, we are forced into the world of reality. I think we would all love to write exclusively. So we work our days jobs and dream of a life filled with word processors and an endless supply of printer ink. (Aww, heaven!)

If you have the opportunity to work seasonally and save enough money to write the rest of the year, I'd say, do it! As for me, I struggle to timeshare between my writing and my family (the kids can be quite time-consuming! Darn kids! LOL)

I hope you can find a way to work everything out for yourself.

Tarra

mommy to

Noah (10/13/05)

and

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2008 - 7:06pm

The reality is that the

~Tori

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better." ~ Samue

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2008 - 8:10pm

I've been writing fiction since I was eight. and I'll admit I really love to write.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-10-2008 - 4:58pm

First, Ada, congratulations on your graduation and both your degrees!

Having it all is hard work. Working two jobs, which sounds like your plan, is a lot of work. I agree that working a seasonal day job that pays enough to afford savings to get you through the rest of the year sounds perfect. If there's enough of you left after work, you can write. Then you'll also have your down time from the day job to write even more.

Do you want a writing job if you're going to write on your own time, too? Only you can answer that. Personally, I think it would be hard to write for someone else during the day then switch hats and write my own stuff at night and on weekends. Many other writers can handle it with ease but I'd probably burn out quickly and not be able to write much more than my own name after a few months.

JudyB

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-13-2008 - 11:28am

My commitment from the time I left college was not just to writing, but to a life in the arts. I spent over 20 years working in theatre, film, and television, and now am transitioning into writing full time.

The best thing I did for myself was not to compromise. I refused to get caught up in the "day job" crap -- I worked hard enough to always make a living in my chosen field, the arts.

And that's what I'm doing now, making a living as a writer.

It takes guts and hard work. You have to ask yourself, "How badly do I want this?"

And then do it.

If you want normal, easy, etc., then go for the day job. Otherwise, commit to your dream and do what you have to in order to make it work.

I don't believe in "day jobs".

You want something, you go out, and you get it. Period.

Ink in My Coffee: http://devonellington.wordpress.com Hex Breaker: http://hexbreaker.devonellingtonwork.com www.fearlessink.com www.devonellingtonwork.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-16-2008 - 11:49am

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys! It's always good to hear from others who have been in similar situations, especially when being a "writer" seems to shun you to the outskirts of the understanding of normal humanity! Things are slowly snapping into place in my professional life, but I have to say in this day and age, with the economy going down the crapper, wanting it all doesn't always seem the most attainable. But I love how you put it, Devon: if you want something, you do go out and get it, regardless of what you have to overcome in the process.

Ada