Editing... schmediting - I'm deleting!

iVillage Member
Editing... schmediting - I'm deleting!
Sat, 07-12-2008 - 3:52pm

So, I have a brand new chapter one.

It used to be chapter 3 - but chapters 1 and 2 fell way way way WAY short of the rest of the book. So, I deleted them!

I extracted the humor and few tidbits from the first two chapters that were important ---- and the rest is HISTORY!

HooraY! I'm finally getting somewhere!

jennie310308.gif picture by abismom04

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

MadsenFallSiggy3.png picture by jenniemadsen1

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-12-2008 - 10:33pm

You've learned an important lesson, Jennie. Some writers have a hard time accepting the fact that sometimes Chapter 3 of what they've written is really the first chapter of their book.

Are you finished with the first draft? If not, you may learn the hard lesson of trying to recreate things that you've deleted. Don't worry too much if that's the case. Things usually come out better the second time you write them.

JudyB

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-12-2008 - 10:40pm
I didn't erase erase the first two chapters - in case I need to add some of the funny details back in - they are in a separate file and I have my entire first draft - yes completed - printed so even if I lost my computer files - I'm good to go.

jennie310308.gif picture by abismom04

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket

MadsenFallSiggy3.png picture by jenniemadsen1

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-13-2008 - 11:16am
Glad to see you're in the right place on both counts. Ya done good, gal!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-17-2008 - 2:29pm

I'm afraid to edit my WIP for this very reason! Once I start poking around, I'm sure it's the backspace key that's going to be leaned into! Ah well, I'll just focus on getting my word counts up for the time being. I'm revising a shorter piece right now and it seems that for every step forward, there are two steps back. But we'd rather be concise than rambly anyway, right? ;)

But congrats on the progress you've made. After all, there's nothing like a fresh start to really get you going.

Ada

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-19-2008 - 7:47pm

Ever fearful that I'll delete the best parts of any WIP, I've adopted a sort of "saving custom" when editing my work. It harkens back to a workshop with James W. Hall who writes in longhand in journals. His rewrites are also in longhand in journal books. The final rewrite goes to a typist to transcribe. (That was many years ago but I have no reason to believe he's changed his M.O.)

Though Mr. Hall was saving the writer's journey, my electronic version of the rewrite only serves to save any bon mots,

JudyB