Good News and Bad News

iVillage Member
Good News and Bad News
Sun, 08-03-2008 - 4:36pm

I'll give you the bad news first. FM decided he wasn't going out today and there must have been some problem with the super-affordable computer I found in the ads today. Well, at least he's not buying a motorcycle. (That was in his plans for this weekend.) He is working on getting Rat Truck back on the road. That means I might have reliable transportation while we find out if my car is worth fixing. Well, that last part is some good news.

The possible really good news is that I changed my home page after five hours and six attempts to log onto the Internet today. I picked a really small page that usually loads quickly. It still loads slowly but not as bad as the old home page. Comes up like a veritable rocket on the Dinosaur Dell once we're online.

If anyone

JudyB

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-03-2008 - 5:14pm

Try Dell.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2008 - 8:35am

The computer I'm replacing is a Dell, Linda. After spending the last six years with the Dinosaur (it was bought off-lease so must be eight or nine years old at this point), I'm totally impressed. Been looking for a Dell Deal ever since.

Furry Murray is becoming even cheaper than I am lately. He loves Dells also but has been looking at the bucks instead of the brand these days.

Hah! I'm gonna fool him. Been shopping the Dell site the past few days. It's gonna cost him . . . .

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-04-2008 - 6:21pm

Acer brand is cheap; I don't know how reliable.

Dell's customer service is nearly non-existent. But if you need something cheap as an interim computer, they're on sale.

HP is having sales now, too, and they tend to be more reliable . . .

Ink in My Coffee: http://devonellington.wordpress.com Hex Breaker: http://hexbreaker.devonellingtonwork.com www.fearlessink.com www.devonellingtonwork.com
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2008 - 9:43pm

My first PC was an Acer. Don't remember exactly how long it lasted. That was more than ten years ago. Kept the keyboard to hook up to its replacement, an HP. Don't think the HP lasted any longer than the Acer. The HP keyboard got plugged into FM's old eMachine because he needed to see the letters on the keyboard - and the green Acer keyboard had lost all its letters.

They were all good desktops and each lasted more than two years with no problems at all. I used to joke that I had dog hair in my BIOS. Think the dog hair choked up the fan and burned out at least one of the PCs.

The Dinosaur Dell gets swept and dusted every day. It's got its own can of air. Somehow it sits on the only piece of real estate in the house that doesn't get covered with dog hair. I'm hunting for the vacuum adapter we got years ago. (You know how things tend to hide better the longer they're stored.)

Decided to clean the Dinosaur's insides almost every day, too. The schedule had been to do a ScanDisk and Disk Cleanup once a week and a defrag once a month (only because it takes so long). Cookies got removed on a totally unscheduled basis - and not nearly often enough. Think we're moving to a weekly defrag and daily for everything else. It really seems to help.

Since FM is paying for the new laptop, he thinks he has some say in what I get. He agrees with me on the Dell. He used to be the IT guy. In fact, since the company he works for has an AS400 and he's the only one who ever used one at another company, he's been proclaimed the IT guy again. (He's stored books on how to build and rebuild computers - somewhere.) He thinks my computer problems are all in my head - and in the phone line with dial-up. When an Acer with a webcam jumped into my e-mail with a price that seemed reasonable, he said I didn't need a webcam. Who cares if I need a webcam? The price was better than comparable computers without one. What I don't want is a 250 gig hard drive! I'd trade more than half of that hard drive for an extra gig or two of memory.

I'll just get what I get when I get it. Meanwhile, we'll see how long we can keep the Dinosaur alive. There's a precedent set by car manufacturers. Some award a new car when your old one turns a million miles on the odometer. I love the Volvo story! Think Dell would consider giving me a new laptop when mine is 10 or 15 years old? 'Course, it would still be limping along on Windows 98 with Explorer 6. LOL!

There are a couple of emergency back up computers in the house. One is a 13-year old Gateway desktop. I'll have to check to see if it's got a modem - and then I'll have to get a 100-foot phone cord to reach it!

I'll know the perfect computer when I see it - I think. Right now a bird in the hand . . . .

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-07-2008 - 1:16am

Judy, if you have the opportunity to get one I strongly recommend you get a Toshiba. I can't tell you how many of my friends complain incessantly about their laptops -- Mac's ( because the word processing sucks), Dell (because they're s-l-o-w), HP (need I say more?), Viao (My sisters have these and have nothing but problems -- including keys that break off the keyboards and disc drives that come loose) and I could go on and on.

I've had two Toshiba Satellite's and they're great, reliable, easy to work with and fast as all get out. The little Satellite (it's the U305-S5077)

~Tori

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better." ~ Samue

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-07-2008 - 12:15pm

Thank you, Tori, for a sincere recommendation - with expert corroboration!

FM got to hear my

JudyB