Sharing Work

iVillage Member
Sharing Work
Wed, 08-06-2008 - 4:29am

I'm asking this as a general question for everyone on the board: how do you

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-06-2008 - 10:17am

Where do you find these pen pals? That might have some influence on what you'd like to share with them.

Your work belongs to you and you have the sole right to share or not - with anybody. Some people are more protective than others

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-07-2008 - 12:19am

I found my new batch of pen pals on a site called Penpals Now. I found some really cool people there and have really enjoyed writing to them. All of them know that I'm a writer and a couple of them are also writers, but only this one particular guy asked to see my writing. I did refuse him and I think that I refused him in a nice enough way that he won't continue to pester me about it.

And you are right: my work belongs to me and me alone. I remember now of reading a writing book that author Rita Mae Brown wrote in which she said that no one has the right to ask you to see your work, not until you are ready to share it. I don't have any samples of my own work on the web, but I do know of a web site that publishes the kind of work that I do write. I could steer him to that and tell him that I write similar to what's on that site.

Thanks for your response, Judy. I really appreciate it!

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-07-2008 - 12:54am

I have to agree with Judy: your work is your own. And if I might add some of my own latent New Yorker

~Tori

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better." ~ Samue