Learning to Ride

iVillage Member
Learning to Ride
Mon, 08-11-2008 - 3:53pm

Furry Murray and I gave up trying to get into chat around 11 P.M. ET last Saturday. That's right! FM was trying to help me. The Dinosaur Dell wouldn't boot. When it did boot up, it froze or would not connect to the Internet. FM logged me into his computer. It required bunches of information before I could get online.

Once online, FM's laptop seemed to have a problem with iVillage. That's not surprising since he never cleans out the history, cookies, or temporary folders.

He went laptop shopping for me online Sunday morning. He handed me a printout with a Dell 1525 and asked what color I wanted. Since the 1525 is an Inspiron and not a Studio laptop, it doesn't come in purple - and they charge extra for a colored case. Black is fine. Black is wonderful. It's all silver on the inside and has pretty blue lights.

We're still loading software and working on our wireless network. I'm gingerly wandering around Vista and tomorrow I plan to investigate Word 2007. It's sort of like learning how to ride a bike. Hope it turns out more like learning to ride a horse since a horse doesn't want to get hurt and usually knows the way home. ;-)

This is going to be fun! It's not just the speedy connection and fast computer. I'll be able to spend more quality time here with my friends instead of waiting for screens to change at the speed of drying paint. Grass grows faster than the Dinosaur!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-11-2008 - 6:50pm

Word 2007 is a little tricky at first, but once you get used to it, it's easy to work with.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2008 - 7:26am

Thank you, Linda!

Whenever I get new software (or hardware, for that matter), I joke that F1 is my favorite key. Learning through the Help screen isn't always the best way to pick up all the tips and tricks, though.

I'll be getting used to lots of new things in the coming weeks. If I get stuck, you know I'll be back here crying for help. ;-)

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2008 - 10:07am
lol JudyB, glad to hear about your new bike. I'm hoping for, in a year or two maybe, to replace this Gateway laptop with an eMachine PC. I just can't stand this laptop's keyboard, but at least it's not a Dinosaur lol

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2008 - 12:51pm

Thanks, Joelle! The new set up is wonderful!!!

Almost the entire time I was picking out a mouse, the guy in the store kept asking me if I wanted a wireless keyboard to go with it. Since he doesn't get commission, guess you're not the only one who has a problem with a laptop keyboard. 'Course, after operating on a smaller one for so many years, this one is heaven. (Still gotta get used to where some of the keys moved. Since they all work, it's a small annoyance.)

Hope to see you in chat this Saturday. All the typos will be my own. Can't blame the keyboard for a long time - I hope. LOL!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2008 - 12:55pm
I don't remember if I've explained before, but the issue is, when I get going really fast, sometimes my fingers will catch the edges/sides of the keys and pull them off the keyboard. And they're a royal pain in the butt to get back on once they've come off. Hm, maybe I should look into a wireless laptop :D

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2008 - 9:53pm
Congrats on the new laptop! It was my desktop monitor that was my dinosaur. I'd had that for about 7 years, ever since I got my first computer and it went through two more computers after that. Then I noticed that the screen on the monitor was starting to getting really blurry. I belong to several forums/message boards and on one of them I was having to magnify the screen up to 125% to read what I was writing. Not good. So then I got a new flat screen monitor, which is an HP, just like my computer. My old Gateway desktop one was 17" and this one is 22". I can actually read the small print on the screen. The one thing that is getting a little difficult to get used to is the color of the print of the screen. For example, here on iVillage if someone posts in black, the screen shows it as a combination of black and green. I always type in purple here and it shows up as a combination of purple and green.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-13-2008 - 8:17am

How does green look on your new monitor? LOL!

I've never had a flat screen of my own and the ones where I worked were set up to show true color and, luckily, never lost their settings. There should be a way to adjust the color. At least I think there should. Or it could be a setting on your computer. Maybe if I were more computer knowledgeable, that old green Acer would still be operating - on Windows 3.1.1!

From one purple lady to another - enjoy your new screen!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-13-2008 - 3:02pm
Ok, from your post I think I can make this conclusion: when you typed in bold I saw only green or purple, so that might mean something.
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-13-2008 - 3:47pm
Just don't try those 3-D glasses while you're trying to read stuff online. LOL!

JudyB

JudyB