How surgery affects writing?

iVillage Member
How surgery affects writing?
Tue, 08-12-2008 - 10:13am

Well I asked about this on the erotica writers list I'm on; it took like 4 useful replies before I go the idiot man who only responded to the fact that my surgery in question is a breast reduction... he babbled something about "erotic magic" and it being lost... hopefully here I'm safe from that lol

But for those who've gone through a serious surgery or supported a writing loved one through a surgery, how did it affect you/their writing? No writing for weeks/months? Or extended writing because of bedridden time?

I need to get over to the breast reduction board; I know intercourse is one of the things you have to wait for plastic surgeon-approval after reduction surgery. I'd been thinking, is that maybe, at least in part, because of blood going into the breasts during arousal? Although obviously the tissue and stitches are bigger concerns. But I find myself worrying, if it is even in part because of the blood thing, my thought is maybe, because I write erotica, I'd have to wait on writing too
lol I know, I'm worrying too much, but I have 2 weeks to worry about it.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2008 - 6:11pm

I'm not going to be any help, Joelle, except for maybe some moral support. I've never had any "real" surgery, you see, so I have no idea what your long-awaited surgery will do to your "writing muscles."

Can your doctor provide any assistance here? Doctors are supposed to study anatomy, aren't they? If the muscles you'll use at the keyboard are connected to anything that's been cut or prodded, it's sure to cause discomfort if not down-right pain.

Your body will tell you if you should lay off the keyboard for a while. Likewise, it should also tell you when it's time to ease back into writing.

One of my favorite doctors had a great line, Joelle. You can use it if you'd like. "If it hurts, don't do it. If it feels good, do it again."

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2008 - 9:45pm

I had surgery 12 years ago, where I had a dermoid cyst that cut off the blood supply to my right ovary. Along with removing the cyst, the surgeon also removed my right ovary, my right fallopian tube and my appendix. I was supposed to have bed rest for

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2008 - 10:12pm
hehe moral support will be good.
yeah, that'll be one of my questions when my PS goes through the list of things I can't do until he gives me permission :D
I'd think typing on the laptop on the desk would be too stressful, but I'm wondering about the Alphasmart on my lap. Of course, this is ignoring if whatever he puts me on for pain makes me unable to write.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2008 - 10:22pm
I've tried writing stuff other than erotica; it's painful, not in a good way either lol. oh I'm worried about so many things in regards to this surgery. He has a very high sex drive and sometimes my bipolar actually allows me to respond in kind :D Thankfully we're not monogamous so I'm not worried about him during the time between the surgery and when the PS says I'm okay to go. Really, I can't wait until post-surgery when I can be on the computer again. I keep trying to tell him that, prior to the chronic pain, I wrote erotica on the computer like Tori Amos plays the piano, but he just can't picture it. Of course, I think I got him to watch a video of her playing/singing "Leather" once and that's about it :D

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle