Takin' a Storm Day

iVillage Member
Takin' a Storm Day
Mon, 08-18-2008 - 4:54pm

Tropical Storm Fay is on her way. She's supposed to be a hurricane when she makes landfall. Landfall, depending on who you bet on, may be right down the road from me. Not down the road like fifty miles away. More like across the street from the end of my street.

We're thinking she's going to follow the path Charley took in 2004. That would bring us a little more rain than any normal Tuesday but it might take out homes that just recovered from the last storm.

We'll probably be up most of the night. We may be tracking the storm on our computers or we may be eating all the leftovers in the 'fridge.

With luck, I'll be back Wednesday to let you know all about another near miss. ;-)

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-19-2008 - 9:23am

Izzy, a/k/a Baby Girl, has proven to be a pretty good storm predictor. She beat NOAA and all those computer models. She knew TS Fay wasn't going to hit us.

Governor Crist put the entire state of Florida under a state of emergency on Saturday for a storm not due to hit until late Monday or early Tuesday. Maybe there was some legal or fiscal reason for this. County emergency offices opened on timetables as wobbly as the storm's projected path. One was meeting at noon on Monday to decide if schools should close and buses should run.

More of our neighbors than usual boarded up their windows. Since it appears now that nothing much will happen in our neighborhood, I'm afraid nobody will be out pounding on plywood for the next storm. Of course, they could be like us and leave the plywood up until New Years.

FM got the day off for the storm. He hasn't stopped talking since he got home from work last night. He was screaming and yelling in his sleep. Unless he takes a nap, I may not have time to return today.

See you Wednesday - maybe with a new quote.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-20-2008 - 2:58pm

Judy

How are things down there? I hope all is well.

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-20-2008 - 5:09pm

Can't even measure the rain we've gotten in the last two days. FM saw a rainbow on the way to work this morning, though, 'cause it was pouring on the Interstate. I had to water my pepper plants today and my lone pansy plant finally gave up and died.

We've lost a few small branches from the pine trees. That happens if you look at them too hard.

I'm really afraid that people won't take the next storm seriously and it ends up being a serious storm.

The county won't be taking down their billboard that warns drivers we're in a drought and we should all conserve water - at least not any time soon.

Fay was a good excuse not to cut any more brush in the yard - not that I needed an excuse after I tried to help FM pick up his new motorcycle the second time he dumped it on the way home Sunday. I knew better but tried to help anyway. Musta been a love thing.

No hurricane, no tropical storm, no tornadoes. I always suspected I had that effect on weather. Now with Izzy's help, we may be invincible. LOL! We could rent ourselves out but we won't come cheap. ;-)

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-21-2008 - 4:00pm

It's raining! Guess that means Fay is moving again. Now she's supposed to go almost straight across the state, downgrade from tropical storm to tropical depression somewhere around Tallahassee, and poop out somewhere around Jackson, Mississippi.

Fay stalled somewhere around Melbourne or Daytona. At first I figured all the computer models of the storm path gave her too many varied options and she couldn't make up her mind which way to go. Then I thought maybe she was waiting for some sort of race at Daytona or maybe a launch at Kennedy Space Center. She's got a pretty big eye and can probably see for miles and miles and miles.

The area where Tori used to live is being largely navigated by flat-bottomed boats rather than SUVs. Watched a weather report this morning where the map read .5" and the weather bunny said 5". The important part of the report, though, was that two feet of water had accumulated in several areas. Several other areas had, fortunately, been able to drain some of their 24 inches of rainfall. Twenty-four inches of rain in forty-eight hours is a lot. It's even worse if it fell in less time.

We got 3/8" of rain yesterday. Even though it was pouring twenty minutes ago, the float on the our rain gauge is about at where the 1/16" mark would be if it had one. The rain is coming in waves, mostly as a fine drizzle. Maybe when I check the rain gauge in the morning, the float will be at the 1/4" mark. (There is one of those.) I plan to fill the watering can in the morning.

Predictions Monday were for the storm to tear right through our area Tuesday with heavy rain starting Monday afternoon. Meteorology, apparently, is not an exact science. Even Mother Nature can't count on Mother Nature. Any storm thinking about coming close to yours truly had better rethink her plans.

My SIL called this afternoon to see if we had flooded. They've had much worse weather on Long Island this year than we've had so far in my part of the Lightning Capitol of the country. He suggested I rent out visits from Izzy and me to insurance companies that want to limit storm claims on a monthly retainer. We figured $50,000 a month and free home/flood/hurricane insurance would be fair. (Guess I should start documenting my experience with tornadoes and hurricanes for my resume. That's gonna be a chunk of work. It starts in 1957.) Maybe I should ask for auto insurance to be thrown in, too. LOL!

My heart goes out to all who are affected by any act of nature. I wish they were all as lucky as I have been.

Just checked outside. The sky is clear and blue. A little puffy white cloud went sailing by. Red, brown, and blue dragonflies were feasting on mosquitoes. Tonight the bats that live a block or two away will feast. Mother Nature has her own plan.

May all your skies be clear and blue.

JudyB

JudyB