Target Audiences

iVillage Member
Target Audiences
Thu, 09-11-2008 - 5:26am
Hi All,
Since my book is nonfiction & I need to get an idea of my target audience, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions of other message boards I can join to float my idea around to readers so I can get an idea of what type of interest I might get.
I typed in book clubs on Google, but I mostly found things on Barns & Noble, & Amazon.com, places like that.
Or your typical join our book club get 4 books free, etc.
So if anyone knows of any free sites that have nonfiction discussion boards, please let me know!
Thank you,
Michelle
I'm not like them,
Black & blue tan...
The sun is gone,
& I have a light...
The day is done,
& I'm having fun...
I think I'm dumb,
Maybe just happy..."'
Kurt Cobain - "Dumb"
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-11-2008 - 11:38am

Have you tried searching the topic for your book? That seems as if it would be more helpful than finding a book club where it would fit.

You may even be able to find some sites with message boards (maybe even iVillage!) where you could get to know your target audience up close and personal. Hmm, searching iVillage for your topic sounds like a great idea! You're already registered and we've got more message boards than my gods have hair - well, almost.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-12-2008 - 12:22am

I haven't tried searching for my topic because as I said before, there's more then one topic. I could find more people with blindness, but not with Tessier Clefts. There's only about 8-12 people with Tessier Clefts to begin with. Not exact stats, but close.
I've already emailed everyone on my list at Cleftadvocate, CleftTalk & CCAKids. Now I'm just figuring on seeking out any website with a book discussion forum that includes Nonfiction to find "anyone" who will read it. Considering that my goal is actually to get as many people as possible to read it.

What do you think of the title?

I'm not like them,
Black & blue tan...
The sun is gone,
& I have a light...
The day is done,
& I'm having fun...
I think I'm dumb,
Maybe just happy..."'
Kurt Cobain - "Dumb"
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-12-2008 - 2:14pm

Sometimes we're too close to our subject, Michelle, especially when we are the subject. Just as we address our challenges one at a time, our story conveys them blended as the whole of our lives. I am not my eyes or my back any more than Christy Brown was only his left foot. We are the people who live inside our bodies. I want to learn all about Michelle, the woman who lives inside your skin.

Whether we are writing fiction or non-fiction, our subject must matter to the reader. We must connect with the hero in a novel and want to see them succeed, want to see it enough to stick with the hero to the end of the book - or the end of the series. As a reader, I would like to see you as the vibrant,

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-12-2008 - 3:18pm

Well, I am the messenger. Geeze I feel egotistical writing that...

That's why I titled it that. That's what I tried to explain in my first post. Where the title came from, why I like it, & how it relates to me, although that last part may not have been clear! Lol. I'm trying to remember how late it was when I wrote that. I may have been tired.
Michelle

I'm not like them,
Black & blue tan...
The sun is gone,
& I have a light...
The day is done,
& I'm having fun...
I think I'm dumb,
Maybe just happy..."'
Kurt Cobain - "Dumb"