Child writer questions

iVillage Member
Child writer questions
Thu, 09-11-2008 - 8:07am
Finn's been working on a story, putting tons of effort into it. First of, I know it needs tons of work; in frustration after a bad lesson yesterday, I bluntly told him that his idea is good, but that he hasn't remembered a single grammar thing I've taught him (capitalization and punctuation are nightmares with him). Well we're reading "The School Story" by Andrew Clements; also a few days ago, I got my copy of my book from lulu.com. There's been tons of publishing conversations these days :D. I'm wondering though: do agents ever accept children's books? If they're good enough, obviously. Right now, Finn has a very short story. I was thinking of suggesting one of the many magazines that publish children's writing, so he could see his name in print basically. Does that sound like a good first step for him? He'd been thinking of lulu.com, as I used it, and I'm not sure I've been successful explaining why it's not necessarily a good choice for his story; I know exactly why I made the choices, but then my writing is very different from his.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-11-2008 - 12:35pm

Looks as if Finian belongs to the "Puke it all out and fix it up later" school of writing, Joelle. Good for him! If he remembers all those grammar rules while he's revising, he's learned his lessons well.

Not quite sure how those young wonders get published, Joelle. Maybe I should have paid more attention to the stories I read. I'm sure more than one didn't mention age until the manuscript was sold. ;-) Honesty usually is the best policy - and easier to remember than a fib - so you may want to suggest magazines that publish children's writing. He'd get to see his byline and his story in print and other readers his age could enjoy his writing.

Heehee! His writing most certainly is different from yours! It had better be for quite a few more years. ;-)

BTW, hope you can make it to chat tonight! We missed you Saturday.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-11-2008 - 2:54pm
Well, I've already made the decision that, when it comes to Finn's creative writing, the puke-it-out approach is best. It's what works for him; so from that, I'm teaching self-editing and keeping the grammar instruction separate, as much as possible. He seems most comfortable with this approach. Really, I figured I'd take him to look at calls for submissions etc so he understands what's being looked for. Then when he gets to agents, yes, being upfront because lying isn't good (in "The School Story" the author talks about how pseudonyms are okay, but pretending to be an agent isn't)... if an agent doesn't mind handling a child's book, I figure the most I'd need to do is read contracts to protect Finn, sign some things as his parent.
I took a vicodin on Saturday and just wasn't up to chat. I gotta be more careful about overdoing it; I had a shooting pain last night that got Shaman all worried. At least I haven't had any pain or discomfort so far that my plastic surgeon didn't warn me about... well there was the achy ribs, but that made sense and a friend of mine who also had a breast reduction (by the same doc, no less lol) had the same ache

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2008 - 3:41pm
Have you checked out Stone Soup? If I remember correctly, the mag is written by kids, and they've got a good reputation.
Ink in My Coffee: http://devonellington.wordpress.com Hex Breaker: http://hexbreaker.devonellingtonwork.com www.fearlessink.com www.devonellingtonwork.com
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-17-2008 - 4:04pm
yup, already thought of Stone Soup. Just have to see what their guidelines are for so I can walk Finn through the process of submitting to them :)

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle