Writer's block issues

iVillage Member
Writer's block issues
Thu, 09-11-2008 - 11:15am
I've been in a slump for a few months, how do I get out this?
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-11-2008 - 12:09pm

Welcome to The Writing Life, engdsnv!

Personally, I don't believe in writer's block. Writer's block is something that happens when you'd rather do something else. 'Course, when that something else includes housework, you may have another problem altogether. Ben Bova put it best at a conference workshop I attended - Writer's block is something that happens to people who have someone else to pay the bills.

Waiting for the Muse is a lot like waiting for Godot. Writing is not a spectator sport. If we don't bring our imagination, creativity, and talent to the table, we might as well be ironing.

If you have a work in process, you might want to assign yourself a minimum number of words to write in a day - or set a timer for a finite amount of time to do nothing but write. If you sit down to write on your project and nothing comes, perhaps you've chosen the wrong project. You might want to try writing something else instead.

Pretend your life depends on finishing a writing project and you might just make it to the end. With enough practice and enough projects, you might find out it does.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-11-2008 - 6:37pm

Well, first, some types of writer's block

------

Writing Blog |