How editing goes...

iVillage Member
How editing goes...
Sun, 09-14-2008 - 1:23pm
Well I didn't remember to mention at last night's chat how many words I've delted, pages I've eliminated in my jumbo-sized novel (101,599 words or 501 pages double spaced at beginning) because I was venting so hard about tech issues :( so here's my post. I'm at 101,258 words or 494 pages... at least it's not twice the size of my 276-page first novel :D

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-15-2008 - 12:26pm

I know you mentioned that you are doing several edits and each will concentrate on something different. Would you mind going over that again?

We both seem to have gotten a bit derailed on a focused edit by having something we're not looking for standing up and shouting at us to be fixed. Does that throw you off track at all?

Remember that all writing is rewriting. It's easy to forget the seventh time around. ;-)

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-15-2008 - 1:01pm
I do get distracted sometimes by glaring issues when I'm doing a focused edit for other issues, but I figure if I fix whatever it is then, it's already fixed.
First I'm working on -ly adverbs. I say "-ly adverbs" because I'm actually using find to search "ly". After that I'm focusing on directions, mostly up and down; I do have the tendency to have people do things the opposite of expected, such as "knelt up," but other than that type of special thing, I want as many "up"s and "down"s out. I figured out the next one after that; I need to work on overuse of names, especially possessives. I'll use find to search 's. After that, it's going to get a line by line edit.
This morning, I find myself down to 100,833 words or 491 pages. I also have some ideas to play with formatting that'll help, but I'm not looking at those until the line-by-line edit.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-15-2008 - 3:54pm

That sounds pretty focused to me, Joelle. Sometimes I'm that focused. Not always, though.

My first and my last rewrites

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-15-2008 - 8:47pm
lol maybe FM can help you with "knelt up"
well I have my plans... they're not happening exactly :D but I'm around 200-something :D out of 491 pages.
hehe I can't quite read out loud, unless Finn's away or in bed.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2008 - 1:30pm

I might end up in pain trying to kneel up, Joelle, but FM would land in the hospital if he helped. ;-)

I was thinking about your editing this morning while I was walking the dogs. (Gotta do something while strapped to a quiet canine.) I'm not the first to realize the similarity but editing is sort of like sculpting. You just chip away at the stone (story) and remove what doesn't belong.

It's so much easier to think about another writer editing her work than to think about your own. LOL! And how do I edit a recipe? I have someone else try to follow it. Heehee! My favorite part of editing that way is the tasting.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2008 - 4:38pm
lol editing a recipe
it was interesting when I was asked about someone else editing by a person at the "lunch bunch" gathering at my fellowship. I bit down on a "well duh, but only after I put in hundreds of hours of editing myself" :D I really think most people don't have a clue how much editing the average editor actually does :D

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle