Use Paper and Pen or The Computer!

iVillage Member
Use Paper and Pen or The Computer!
Sun, 10-12-2008 - 12:39pm

Just wondering what everyone uses to create their wonderful stories or novels. Myself, I prefer paper and pen. Then I transfer everything to my computer. I have tried many of times to sit in front of the computer but I am just blank! When I get my notebook and pen, I just lose myself in my writing! How do you start?

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-12-2008 - 1:48pm

It depends on the project and the deadline. I prefer to write first drafts of fiction in longhand, but, right now, I'm on tight deadlines and have to get vast amounts of prose out in short amounts of time (I'm averaging about 5000 words a day right now in order to meet deadlines), so I'm composing directly on the computer.

I like the feeling of working in longhand, and I also like to take paper and pen with me when I work offsite. Typing on a laptop on the beach just feels wrong somehow, for me. I feel more organic with pen and paper.

But I use whatever gets it done on time.

Ink in My Coffee: http://devonellington.wordpress.com Hex Breaker: http://hexbreaker.devonellingtonwork.com www.fearlessink.com www.devonellingtonwork.com
iVillage Member
Sun, 10-12-2008 - 9:18pm
I write either at the computer or using my alphasmart. But I never learned to "hold my pencil correctly" and writing longhand for any length of time hurts me a lot. However, I can type 50+wpm so typing to write works excellent for me

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2008 - 7:27am
Computer.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-13-2008 - 1:58pm

It's so tempting to say I write whatever I want however I want. Since I admitted I'm only writing recipes lately (the biscuits didn't turn out - my flour must be getting old LOL!), I'm writing mostly pen to paper.

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-14-2008 - 4:48am
I have to write using the computer. I have fibromyalgia, so it is very difficult for me to write long hand anymore. Any letters that I send to friends are typed on the computer as well, or it would take forever to send a letter out. When I write with pen and paper I have to keep stopping and let my hand rest before writing again.
iVillage Member
Tue, 10-21-2008 - 8:10pm
i write on the computer because i re-read and edit and reorder and reorganize a lot as i'm writing. also, my writing is very reflective (basically, my characters think aloud a lot)...i kinda see it as a coherent version of train-of-thought. so...i start with an outline that i expand, then i actually start writing my piece. the computer makes it so much easier to cut and paste things as im going along.
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-22-2008 - 11:01am
IMHO, cut and paste is better than sliced bread!

JudyB

JudyB