Promises to Keep?

iVillage Member
Promises to Keep?
Fri, 11-07-2008 - 7:31pm

Startup magazines are hard to come by - at least those that pay and those might survive. Just like startup websites, we've got to to be careful.

Craigslist, which transformed from the elite place to look for work to a scam machine, listed a local glossy magazine startup this week. Of course, I opened the posting, hoping it was a legitimate offer. Hah! There would be no payment for the first two issues. There were hopes of payment sometime after that.

Sorry, glossy, I'm not writing for nothing - at least not for you. If I want to write for no pay, I'll donate to a non-profit that tugs at my heart. Maybe I'll write just to entertain myself and keep it locked up on my hard drive or in one of the dozen of notebooks hiding in my house.

How do you feel about doin' sumthin' for nothin'?

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-07-2008 - 10:03pm

In the past, I've done it; I wouldn't do it now.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-08-2008 - 7:44pm

I'm with you, Judy -- I'd rather do pro bono work for an organization about which I'm passionate, and wind up with legitimate clips that are useful in getting other work, than write for a start-up for free.

Occasionally, I'll do a piece for free here or there, but it's usually because I know someone connected to it really well and there's a good reason. But I don't work for free for strangers. Why should I, when I can use that time and get paid?

I agree-- Craigslist used to have great listings; now the bulk of them are scams. And it annoys me that job listings boards post them anyway, driving even more traffic to them.

Find a company you like, convince 'em they can't live without you, and you'll wind up with a solid working relationship where you're paid what you're worth!

Ink in My Coffee: http://devonellington.wordpress.com Hex Breaker: http://hexbreaker.devonellingtonwork.com www.fearlessink.com www.devonellingtonwork.com
iVillage Member
Sun, 11-09-2008 - 7:22pm

I wrote for free 'cause I was stupid. Well, maybe not stupid. I was in junior high school, now known as middle school. I didn't realize my filler submissions to the local newspaper were supposed to be accompanied by an invoice. You've heard before about the green filler stringer who didn't know enough to turn in her string. ;-)

Websites that offer a bio and link are offering just a little more than nothing. If nobody visits the site, they're offering less than nothing. Guess if no one visits, nobody knows you've aligned yourself with a nobody. ;-)

That writer you tell of who gets published for free is, I'm sure, not alone. If anyone who pays writers reads her clips, they know those who publish her get exactly what they pay for.

I'd love to learn more about your uncle. Guess I'll Google him. If that doesn't work, I'll keep asking more.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-09-2008 - 7:58pm

Thank you for your support, Devon.

Whether by important

JudyB

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-09-2008 - 9:08pm

Googling is how I found out a lot about his publications.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-10-2008 - 2:42pm

Something tells me there was a bit more than luck involved when you found that autographed book, Linda. Maybe the book was looking for family.

Thank you for the information! Maybe I'll be lucky enough to find a Rydberg myself.

JudyB

JudyB