Intro...but been here before

iVillage Member
Intro...but been here before
Tue, 11-11-2008 - 12:34pm

I've been re-writing my book since last February. I've been to classes, seminars, and got a mentor (author who has a couple well-published books).

I am not a "real writer" in that it is NOT my profession. I do not want to continue writing. I wrote this book only because it was necessary and there isn't another one out there. It is non-fiction but it is a story... about what our family went through for... you won't believe... over 15 years of our daughter's illness before she was diagnosed with something besides, since early elementary school,

www. It's Not Mental .com

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-11-2008 - 4:24pm

It's great to visit the board and find good news all over!

After getting as far as you have, Naomi, I'm afraid I would call you a "real" writer. There are plenty of real writers who didn't give up the day job while working on their first novels. Writers of non-fiction often keep their professions forever if they are the subjects of their writing. You've worked hard so far for your book. You've earned the name writer.

Since you have the interest of an agent, I assume you are looking at traditional publishing. Your agent should be able to walk you through the process and advise you at every step of the way. It never hurts to check out someone who has your future in your hands. What authors has this agent represented? What houses have purchased other books? A "real" agent won't mind these questions. In fact, agents should welcome these questions - and more.

Please keep up posted on how your book progresses. Oh, and feel free to ask us anything that springs to mind. We're here to help and cheer you on.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-12-2008 - 8:44am

Yes, she is a "real" agent. But I still don't feel like a "real" writer. I do not have that flair for diverse adjectives and exciting action verbs. I use passive voice too much and had to go back and change things. I get too technical and have to change that. For me, it is revise, revise, revise... and if I did not have a mentor telling me what sucks and what I have to look for and what I have to change and change and change again, the book would NOT be okay. I had to stick more closely to the theme... whew... a thousand and one things. I read work from real writers and they are so colorful.

I am so naive.... After writing it all down to begin with, I thought I had a book. I had no idea that it was the start... and I had to delete 1/3 of it. ;-) I had no idea that I had more than one theme. I had no idea I was redundant. Too much detail here. Not enough there.... show not tell... I was a computer programmer... NOT a book writer.

Thanks for the encouragement. Will ask my question later... gotta go.... thanks again....

www. It's Not Mental .com

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-12-2008 - 2:24pm

You make me smile, Naomi.

I live with a former computer programmer, Furry Murray my larger half. He comes up with ideas for novels or short stories all the time. He thinks they're all good ideas - and sometimes they are. Then he tells me I should write them. I ask him who would buy them. He says he would. I then tell him to write them himself. I offer to work with him. (He realizes after watching me spend many years on one novel that writing is not as easy as the finished product might seem.) So far he hasn't written as much as an outline.

If writing were easy, everyone would do it - even Furry Murray!

If you've only had to dump 1/3 of your manuscript, your first draft seems to have been pretty much on point. We all must rewrite, rewrite, rewrite. Some of us (especially me!) stray from the path of our work and must excise huge chunks of our hard labor. Passive voice is too easy to write (LOL!) We all seem to make the same mistakes when beginning to write. Some learn faster than others. Some give up before they're finished.

You've written a book that asked you to write it. You've worked hard and realize there's much more hard work ahead. Even if this is the only book you ever write, to me you're a writer.

Time for me to be quiet. Gotta finish checking the board and get ready to write some garbage. Maybe tomorrow I can try to turn it into treasure.

JudyB

JudyB