New to these grounds - an introduction

iVillage Member
New to these grounds - an introduction
Thu, 11-13-2008 - 2:16pm

Hello to everyone in this iVillage community.

I'm "Cowboy" Ace Anderson, and I live in eternally gray Cleveland, Ohio. I'm just now getting back into writing after several years of creative inactivity. Through the turmoil and tumult of the last two years of my life, I've come to realize how important writing is to my sanity and my life. I look forward to getting to know other writers coming to the same life-or-death realization.

P.S. I am new to iVillage, and I am eager to explore its many features. If anyone has any suggestions of cool things to check out for people interested in writing, reading, traveling and camping, I am all ears.

Sincerely,

Cowboy

The crossroads - that place where unbridled optimism and pulse-deadening pessimism collide.
The crossroads - that place where unbridled optimism and pulse-deadening pessimism collide. http://aceanderson.blogspot.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-13-2008 - 9:28pm

Welcome, Cowboy! Welcome to The Writing Life.

I live in perpetually green Florida. Heard a rumor once that sometimes gray Cleveland turns white in the sky - and then it snows.

There are so many places to see at iVillage that you can spend entire days soaking up information and making friends. There's a link at Message Board Central that will take you on a tour. You can just surf by yourself if you'd rather do it that way.

I know there are several message boards here for readers and writers. I'm sure you can find others that will fit your interests, too.

Writing is my life - when cooking, music, and movies will step back. Traveling is grand! Camping, however, is defined in my book as a hotel without room service. ;-)

Just pulled up your profile and found you fascinating. One of your favorite movies is Magnolia?!? Love it!

Looking forward to getting to know you better.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-17-2008 - 10:18am

Hello,

I'm new to iVillage. Trying to find a new on-line community.

I live in nearly-perpetually warm Austin, TX. I enjoy writing fiction but have yet to finish a novel. I'm good at planning but have poor discipline when it comes to following through. I'd love to find other writers for inspiration and support.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-17-2008 - 12:12pm

Welcome to The Writing Life, susana!

What type(s) of fiction do you enjoy writing? Id say genre but sometimes they're so muddled even publishers aren't sure how to label them.

Are your novels the only things you don't finish? Is lack of discipline the only thing you can blame? My old, dead computers

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2008 - 9:19am

Thanks Judy.

I'm great at thinking up ideas but then they peter out. I have about three I'd like to flesh out at the moment but am working on one that's been bumping around in my head for a couple of years. I've spent a lot of time recently outlining, to death - coming up with a solid plot, beefing up the main characters and axing smaller ones. I read a lot and have been trying to focus on what about the books I enjoy the most makes me keep reading.

The story I'm working on started out as an attempt at romance. But I quickly discovered the romance was not the central part of the storyline. I think it's become more of a thriller/tragedy. Not sure. Not high literature just, I hope, a good story with some memorable characters.

Do people share works in progress here?

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-18-2008 - 4:00pm

Think it's time we start a new thread, susana. We've hijacked Ace's intro. It's understandable that we sometimes step on someone's toes with our own intro. Sometimes we just get too excited to start a message of our own.

Look for a new post from me addressed to you. ;-)

JudyB

JudyB