I Wrote Something You Can't Cook!

iVillage Member
I Wrote Something You Can't Cook!
Fri, 11-14-2008 - 4:23pm

Yesterday afternoon, surfing the 'Net, watching TV on the dining room set, I tempted the Fates. You see, my horoscope (not just one but two!) advised against anything creative or involving money. Your writer's imagination can figure out what that might mean to a writer and family personal chef.

Two essays had been boiling under my skin for weeks - OK, maybe months. They were worthy of a copyeditor although one was about "verbal typos" that might be more accurately described as mispronunciation.

I closed down the Internet, opened Word (think I'm finally figuring out Word 2007!), and started writing. Those essays must have been at a rolling boil 'cause I puked them out in record time. Considering those horoscopes, I decided to keep both essays on the back burner with a tight lid. I'll stir them on Monday and check the seasonings. Then I'll write the cover letter for the first one, simmer that for a while, taste it and correct the seasonings, and submit it. Since they were both written for the same magazine, I might mention the second essay in the first cover letter but I'll wait to see what they say about the first before submitting the second.

Of course, I'll check my horoscope Monday before doing any of the above. ;-)

BTW, I made a classic chicken dish last night. Nobody died.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-15-2008 - 6:37pm
Ink in My Coffee: http://devonellington.wordpress.com Hex Breaker: http://hexbreaker.devonellingtonwork.com www.fearlessink.com www.devonellingtonwork.com
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-15-2008 - 7:18pm

Thank you, Devon! Coming from you it is an honor.

My mind is now racing to grab little things to fill in while writing my cookbooks, mysteries, and hard-to-categorize speculative fiction. The recent elections have revived some of my old editorial spirit. There may be more essays in the works.

I'm currently reading You Might As Well Live: The Life and Times of Dorothy Parker. The parallels between the '20s and now are frightening. I gave up poetry close to ten years ago because it all sounded like Dorothy Parker. I might be ready to take up verse again.

There's more to life than food alone. ;-)

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-20-2008 - 6:41pm

Sounds productive and promising! Way to go!

What's the classic chicken dish? Forgive my ignorance.

Ada

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-21-2008 - 9:25am

It certainly wasn't chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. The Garlic Lady's garlic supply is down to less than 10 cloves and it's getting old. LOL!

The classic dish was Chicken Piccata. FM loved it so much he requested I make it again tonight. ;-)

No ignorance on your part, Ada. Must admit I didn't mention which chicken dish because I wasn't sure how to spell it and had too much else going on to look it up. Lazy me!

BTW, my capers are getting older than my garlic. They may last longer, but they don't last forever. Now I'm off to hunt for more ideas to use up the capers. Maybe I can invent some.

JudyB

JudyB