It's April!

iVillage Member
It's April!
Wed, 04-01-2009 - 12:37pm

April showers bring May flowers.

It's raining in some parts of Florida. That's good news three years into a state-wide drought. Just north of here the stiffest water restrictions in history are being enacted this Friday. (Wonder how much water will be spent watering lawns and washing cars before those things are taboo.) Only a week or so ago the weather lady warned we might not have any appreciable rain until June. This morning she gave us the good news there could be showers on multiple days this week.

People in some areas of the country would gladly trade places with the dry parts of Florida. Wouldn't it be grand if the extra wet of the Red River could be transferred to the shrinking levels of the Peace River, the Braden, the Alaphia? Of course, if that were possible, I could send you all a box of warmth for New Years.

April, we know, is National Poetry Month.

If, while writing the Great American Novel,you happen to run dry, try writing a poem. It helps unblock the dam. Writing poetry can also help add grace to your writing when you feel like you're just churning out words.

Thomas Jefferson's birthday is next Monday, April 13. He won't be around to eat the cake, though.

Today is Anne McCaffrey's birthday! Hans Christian Anderson was born on April 2. Washington Irving was born on the 3rd. Maya Angelou was born on April 4 (So was Muddy Waters.) Then we leap to April 10 - Joseph Pulitzer's birthday. Tom Clancy was born on the 12th. Eudora Welty and Samuel Beckett were both born April 13. Henry James was born on the 15th, which happens to be Leonardo da Vinci's birthday too. Vladimir Nabokov and William Shakespeare were born on April 23. Anthony Trollope was born on the 24th.

April is also Jazz Appreciation Month.

April 22 is Earth Day. (More on that later. This is your second warning.)

The last Friday in April is celebrated as Arbor Day. This year that would be the 24th (also a new moon).

Easter is April 12 this year.

Oh! And today is April Fools Day. And I'm not foolin'!

JudyB

JudyB

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-01-2009 - 1:40pm

Hi Judy ~

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-03-2009 - 1:02pm
Well I woke up the first time today to Chyna flying off the bed to go hide from the thunderstorm in the basement (yay!!!! she now has a basement, rather than my kitchen, to hide in!!!! lol) I'm debating what to do with poetry for Finn. He hasn't cared for much of the "children's poetry" he's experienced. I'd read him Beat poetry, but my Ginsberg is still packed. We do have a poetry book we've been studying and we're working on the section now that spends two pages each on a famous poet. Did Homer the other day; I believe Shakespeare is next :D

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-05-2009 - 5:40pm

We had 7/8" of rain in March. It all came in one day. Think it equaled the rainfall for January and February combined. We're about 36" short so far for the last three years. That's a foot a year. Doesn't sound that bad unless you look at the river banks and shrinking reservoirs.

Louisiana, Brenda?!?! Maybe we'll pack the dogs in the van and bring some 10-gallon jugs to haul water and a few coolers to haul food. ;-)

April Fool's Day was totally uneventful. Thank heaven for small favors. How was yours?

Happy birthday to your daughter!!! Great people were born in April. Is she a Taurus like my mother was?

I get all the horoscopes from iVillage. Love the FoodScopes! My daily horoscope said I have to clean house today. Do I hurt my bum shoulder cleaning house or working on the computer? Hmmm . . . .

Thanks for the link to the coupons! Gonna share it with my friends!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-05-2009 - 5:53pm

Isn't it great to have a basement? I miss mine. Too bad they can't make basements in Florida. (That's one way to get some water from the garden! Dig a basement and pump it into the yard. LOL!)

Finn's doing Homer? How did he like it? Afraid Garrison's stuck with the Beats and Walt Whitman. He lives down the street from Whitman's birthplace.

Garrison is starting to diagram sentences - at 4 1/2! Nouns and pronouns are all nouns to him now. He knows verbs. He's learning how they relate to each other. The other day he asked his mother, "Is 'of' a proposition?" Love that kid!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-06-2009 - 3:06pm
heh well it'd get you around water limits :D
He liked the Iliad well enough. Though he was happy it was done. I'm thinking on finding a nice acting out. There's that one Brad Pitt was in, but I haven't seen it to know if it has any real value, other than Brad Pitt for eye candy lmao but the Beats are good. I've read "Howl" to Finn in the past. He really seemed to enjoy the image of "the first poisonous tomatoes of America"
lol diagramming sentences at 4.5... we need to get our grammar curric out soon, but we've been enjoying "Witch of Blackbird Pond" on cd and we're about to start up with our radishes curric

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-06-2009 - 4:28pm

Radishes?

More Ferlighetti! Glad Finn enjoyed Ginsberg. Think Howl may be a bit much for someone who's not even five but I'm sure Garrison would howl (intended) at the poisonous tomatoes.

Speaking of poisonous tomatoes, I'm waiting to find out if it's San Marzano tomatoes or yucky Florida lawn that's

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-06-2009 - 10:27pm
lol yes poisonous leaves
but yeah, Sonlight uses 2 TOPS learning system courses about growing things. First is radishes, then corn & beans. We have our little planters set up. and we stand to have enough seeds left that we may do some radishes in our garden. We put some 24 seeds into planters this evening.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-07-2009 - 11:06am

Radishes are always fun to grow. They're fast so it's hard to get bored while waiting for something to happen or for something to eat. Corn and beans are educational - and tasty too!.

We're going to have yellow wax and purple beans in the garden. If I can dig enough room, we'll have radishes along one edge and cucumbers and watermelon spilling off the other side. (Those vines can grow over the weed grasses. They've done it before.)

Please keep me posted on Finn's seeds and on your garden.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 2:48pm
well I moved some seeds I'd unpacked to the table, but I haven't heard anything more from my partner about "renting a roto-tiller" since he made that decision. However I'm still waiting on more than 3 days in a row of spring weather; we've still been getting some frosts, even snow a few days ago.
The radishes are going well, progressing through the stages of growth. However we have several separate experiments going, some in which there's sprouts, others where there's none, but we're only on day 5 with the curriculum.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 2:47pm

Boy, can I understand the him in the house making a decision that takes forever to become an action. Remember the van FM bought from work in January

JudyB

Pages