Blogging?

iVillage Member
Blogging?
Tue, 05-05-2009 - 4:22pm

How do we feel about blogging?

I was reading an article on WOW about how crucial blogging is for writers who are seeking to establish themselves in the trade and I was wondering what others' thoughts are on the subject. I've blogged briefly during some international travels to keep family and friends informed of my goings on, but I've always wondered where the line falls between interesting and self-indulgent and more than anything, I fear that starting a blog will just mean I have one more writing thing to feel guilty about not doing!

Is a blog another tool in the writer's toolbox? Or is it a distraction with occasional returns?

Ada

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: avihockey
Wed, 05-06-2009 - 6:46am

Is a blog another tool in the writer's toolbox? Or is it a distraction with occasional returns?

There's a lot of mixed opinions on this.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-06-2009 - 2:35pm

Blogging can be a useful tool. It can be a time waster. It can be dress rehearsal for a website. It can be anything you want to make it.

My blog wasn't very successful. Lack of planning probably brought about its early demise. If I ever try again, there will be a plan and a few entries waiting for those times I'm not up to sharing. There will be a theme and I'll try not to talk about the weather. (Except for the excitement of hurricanes, the weather's pretty boring around here.)

Linda had great ideas. Why am I not surprised?

Best of luck whichever way you choose, Ada.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-07-2009 - 12:24am
I have wondered the same thing. I know i have read about how a writer needs a platform and needed to blog but, personally, I wondered if i barely carve out time to write now when in the world would i write if also blogging? I agree that it can be anything you want it to be. I have often thought it would be handy for essay ideas, or all the little encounters in our ordinary lives with that unique viewpoint that we all have, almost like my self appointed column if you will. I typically boil things down to is it productive, does it add stress or add enjoyment? just a few thoughts...
hugs
Sher

Go with the flow of good chaos

hugs
Sher

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-07-2009 - 10:12am

I consider blogging as part of my JOB as a writer, and build time for it into my writing day. Writing is how I pay my bills. I've landed some well-paid jobs because people found my blog, liked what I had to say and how I said it and hired me. At my rate, not at slave wages.

It's been an important tool to promote my books and articles. Regular readers live through the creation of a book and then go out and buy the finished copy.

It takes 15 minutes to write a blog post, so it's not a time suck.

I'm actually teaching a course on effective blogging this Saturday, on International Promo Day, which is free, at 4 PM EST, online. I'll post the link tomorrow.

Important elements in a blog are:
--have something to say and say it;
--update the blog regularly with new content;
--visit and comment on other's blogs.

For me, it's an important and valuable part of my writing life. But if you're not willing to put in the time, then don't do it. You'll just get frustrated, and your readers will get frustrated and fall away.

Ink in My Coffee: http://devonellington.wordpress.com Hex Breaker: http://hexbreaker.devonellingtonwork.com www.fearlessink.com www.devonellingtonwork.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-07-2009 - 12:27pm

"Almost like my self appointed column if you will." Exactly! You still have to be careful of what you say. You are selling yourself, after all.

Years ago, not that many really, writers were urged to put up a website if they were serious. Serious websites were expensive and most were difficult to build. Hiring a webmaster required even deeper coffers just so you could look like a serious writer, published or not.

Now we have free or low-cost blogging sites to use. Most have user-friendly (to one extent or another) aids to designing and building your site. Search engines look at blogs, too. You don't

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-07-2009 - 1:35pm

What a wonderful - and timely - course, Devon!

We're lucky to have such an experienced, talented, and dedicated author like you aboard!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-12-2009 - 9:37pm

Thanks for all of your great feedback. It's really helpful to hear what others think, although I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I want to undertake the responsibility of maintaining a respectable blog just yet.

Devon, is there any chance you have a transcript you taught last Saturday? I meant to check into it, but was at work and completely spaced it out!

Ada

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-17-2009 - 11:17pm
sorry to say I missed it too and would love to read through it as well. thanks
hugs
Sher

hugs
Sher

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-28-2009 - 9:16am

Ada, they didn't do transcripts of the class. Sorry.

Ink in My Coffee: http://devonellington.wordpress.com Hex Breaker: http://hexbreaker.devonellingtonwork.com www.fearlessink.com www.devonellingtonwork.com
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-28-2009 - 10:47am

Thanks for letting me know Devon. Next time I'll put forth a better effort to remember to attend. I'm sure it was a very worthwhile seminar.

Ada

Pages