Abandoning old WIP for a new dream

iVillage Member
Abandoning old WIP for a new dream
Mon, 06-15-2009 - 2:58pm

I am breaking my own rule and abandoning (at least for now) my dear and much beloved fantasy wip (which is near completion) in favor of starting and completing a new project. Yeah, I know this sounds as though I've gone batty. Why would I start a new project when the old one is nearing the finish line. Well,

~Tori

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better." ~ Samue

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-16-2009 - 3:43pm

Sometimes the genre we love is not the one we were meant to write. Sometimes it is.

I remember, long, long ago, attending a conference where several notable writers presented workshops. I'd been to previous like conferences and wasn't surprised to see that a few of the workshops I looked forward to had been cancelled. The focus of the workshop had become poetry. This was only fitting since the keynote speaker was the Poet Laureate of the United States.

I had been playing with poetry for a few years and derived great pleasure from open mike readings (mostly from the audience reaction) in local bookstores. I stayed up late to join the open mike readings at the conference. Nearly crawling back to my hotel room, I stared at my bed, pulled a pen and notebook from my black case, and pumped my fists in the air. "I am a poet!" It was nearly impossible to keep from screaming the declaration.

Ha! I am not a poet. Every once in a while I am moved to write poetry. I've been writing mysteries on and off since 1957. Same goes for science fiction (well, maybe that started a bit later). I don't really call myself a mystery writer and certainly not a writer of SF. (Blending the two genres almost like a water slide was fun!)

Hmmm. That was no answer, Tori. May I try again?

Just kidding!

Through years of dry spells, decades of things that seemed more important, dozens of stories where I painted myself into a corner, every idea got at least half a chance and some got much more. Sharon gave good counsel. If this character and some of his friends won't vacate your brain, they deserve at least a shot.

JudyB

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 12:27am
Thanks for that valuable insight Judy. I am not quite sure what to make of this sudden foray

~Tori

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better." ~ Samue

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 2:27pm

I say this only because I love you, Tori. Stop talking about writing this dream and start writing it.

You can start with character profiles if you wish. You can start with some of the scenes racing around your head. If you start with Page 1, be prepared to chuck it all and really begin on Page 40.

Oops! That just reminded me it's time to take out the garbage. When I return to the computer, it's time to work on the Dinner chapter of my cookbook.

Yikes! I forgot to take out any meat from the freezer! Well, there are meatless dinners in the book. Why not in my kitchen?

Are we both working on our babies this afternoon?

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-17-2009 - 10:13pm
Hey Judy -- thanks for the nudge.

~Tori

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-18-2009 - 3:25pm

I'm happy too, Tori. ;-) Glad you've been enjoying the writing and it's going so well.

Enjoy your trip and don't forget to write. LOL!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-06-2009 - 11:31am

Hi, Tori!

I think some

Tarra

mommy to

Noah (10/13/05)

and