When Was The Last Time?

iVillage Member
When Was The Last Time?
Thu, 07-02-2009 - 2:51pm

When was the last time you bought a postage stamp? When was the last time you sent a query via snail mail?

Audience Development magazine reported this week that the USPS filed a report their May losses were $677 million dollars. That brings year-to-day losses for the USPS to $3.4 billion!

Plans to cut hours and delivery days, close post offices and routing offices may help. Sounds like too little too late to me. Raising postage rates won't do much if nobody uses the mail.

Is the USPS paying cable stations to show "The Postman" at least once a week in order to build loyalty? I think not. Ben Franklin may be spinning in his grave.

Think I'll get me some Forever stamps - if my post office is still open on Saturdays.

Sure hope this isn't

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-03-2009 - 6:32am

Actually, I used stamps this month.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-03-2009 - 11:12am

I thank you. The United States Postal Service thanks you (I'm sure).

My second-to-latest dentist had a dog in his office. It was in an office complex, though, and not his home. Dogs make the greatest dental assistants - as long as they leave the instruments alone. ;-)

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-03-2009 - 8:05pm
You just got to watch out for them in the driveway.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-04-2009 - 9:46am

Driveways are dangerous places. Dogs, kids, cats, bicycles, wagons, even a stray skate.

I'm a firm believer in leash laws.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-22-2009 - 9:36am

I use stamps on a semi-regular basis. Despite the plethora of social networking options out there, I still find that a handwritten, snail-mail letter will always hold more appeal (and information) than the vast majority of emails, facebook posts, and certainly, "tweets." I'm not as speedy of a responder to my letters as I would like, but I do the majority of my correspondence with at least four friends with help from the USPS.

That said, I pay almost all of my bills electronically and although I've sent out two submissions through the mail this summer, most queries tend to end up in email land. It's just a lot faster and easier.

It will be a sad day indeed if the stamp and the work of the USPS gets phased out by the digital revolution. But considering that I wouldn't consider using a film camera anymore, I'm probably just as responsible for the shifting mindset as anyone else. It's always hard to tell when we're going to get to have our cake, and eat it too.

Ada

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-22-2009 - 11:45am

Almost bought stamps last Saturday. Big almost. Furry Murray's still driving me around and he didn't want to wait for me at the post office.

I do all my bill paying online too. I should start my Christmas shopping online this weekend. (Well, I'll be getting my grandson's birthday presents so might as well continue while the mood and the money hold out.)

I do still use cameras with film, Ada. Never have gotten into the habit of taking the film in for developing right away, though. Digitals do offer instant gratification - or instant insistence to shoot another, better picture. ;-)

Fifteen years ago we had to buy stamps. We needed to use film, not chips, in our cameras. Nobody thought about reading much more than business stuff on a computer.

Wonder if there will still be a post office, bound books made with paper, the option for film in a camera in another fifteen years. I'm stickin' around to find out!

JudyB

JudyB