Writers Beware!

iVillage Member
Writers Beware!
Thu, 07-16-2009 - 5:20pm

Wasted almost two hours (my fault) today in a webinar marketed to authors. Ended up a pitch for a high-tech "system" to create web traffic and "Wait! There's more!" Unfortunately, the webinar was plagued with technical malfunctions.

It did reveal something that real authors didn't want to hear. More accurately, the presenters didn't want real authors to hear. The "guru" had a poster boy who had been laid off three times in one year (in the same industry) and was slinging fast food or something when he agreed to take the training (for free I hope!) and ended up a "successful" consultant or maybe "guru, jr." making $30,000 (no time frame given) marketing to authors after 48 hours training.

Why anyone would pay the huge figure (given as a deep discount) after having to reload the webinar that froze several times and sit through the audio with an echo long enough to make it really annoying, I'll never know. It looked almost like an MLM scheme with no downline. (Used to work

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-16-2009 - 5:57pm

Mike Hyatt, CEO for Thomas-Nelson, blogged on this not too long ago.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-17-2009 - 10:25am

Look what you did, Linda! Just spent over half an hour in Michael Hyatt's blog trying to find the post you mentioned. ;-) Found one on "self-proclaimed social media experts." Was that the one?

BTW, the journey through Mr. Hyatt's blog was helpful and entertaining. Think I'll stick him on my blog list.

You were visited by a "write by numbers" guy? Was he really

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-17-2009 - 5:35pm

Found one on "self-proclaimed social media experts." Was that the one?

Yup, that was it.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-18-2009 - 6:46am
Thanks for the introduction, Linda!

JudyB

JudyB