Contest Entry Fees

iVillage Member
Contest Entry Fees
Wed, 07-22-2009 - 9:59am

I know the vast majority of contests for fiction or poetry writers require a (small) entry fee. I'm probably betraying my rookie nature again, but that's always seemed strange to me, even though I realize that's how the contests generate the income to pay the prize winners. How have you justified paying for what is basically a glorified shot in the dark? Or do you have other suggestions on how to develop a fiction platform?

Thanks!
Ada

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-22-2009 - 1:25pm

Entry fees are used to collect prize money and quite often to pay the judges. Before you think that's a cushy job and ask how you can be a contest judge, think about how many entries each contest must get. There are usually only a few (very few) judges, sometimes only one or two. Then think about the real work.

All entries must be checked for adherence to the rules. If it's supposed to be a poem of 42 lines or less, does it have 45? How about a short-short of 250 words or less? Even 251 words may disqualify it. (Was the count with or without the title?) Mail entries needed to be postmarked by the 15th. Was it postmarked the 17th but received in time for arrival date? That's a lot of work - and you haven't read one poem or story yet.

The judges have rules too. Maybe each must read 300 poems and pick

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-23-2009 - 6:35am

Writer Beware's contest section is worth reading before doing any submitting:

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-23-2009 - 8:49am
Thanks for posting that great

JudyB