What do you do....

iVillage Member
What do you do....
Tue, 08-11-2009 - 8:44pm

....when idea has stopped flowing.

PixiePrincess

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 11:11am

Me? I'd save it. (Considering my track record at saving backups to my writing, maybe I should say attempt to save it! LOL!)

I save everything. Ask Furry Murray. (A five-year-old stack of writing magazines is a permanent dinner guest, sitting on a chair at the table across from my seat. I'd better watch out or Oprah's cameras will do a segment on my "collections.")

I always thought that writing children's books was difficult. Now that I've tried my hand at a few, I know it's hard. Sometimes you just aren't up to continuing the mindset you need to do it. Every once in a while you can find yourself talking down to your target market (a bad thing) or trying to force a moral down their reading throats (maybe worse). Those are the times you have to take a break and regroup.

If another story is fighting for supremacy, you might want to give it a chance. Just don't forget the one you left behind.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-13-2009 - 7:52pm
Thanks.

PixiePrincess

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-14-2009 - 12:52pm

Berry Fairies? They're tougher than squirrels! And trust me, squirrels can live forever.

Best of luck with your stories!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 12:57am

Hi

I have been a writer and a literary agent for years and I think you should finish what you have started and then write another.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 10:32am

Welcome, Marsha!

True, true, you can't put every story on hold because you've hit a rough point in the writing. Any writer who does that consistently will end up with a collection of story beginnings and not much else.

Of course, if you've been kicking yourself in the head for weeks or months trying to move on, maybe there's no place to go. It surely would be good exercise to finish a story that cannot be finished. Beginning writers may benefit from this type of exercise. (Old writers like me can too.) Maybe the writing gods will smile and give us a perfect story. But then again maybe not.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you better, Marsha. Must admit it's partly because of your background and partly because your address is Northbrook. (You're making me homesick!)

You've motivated me to get writing again. (My current book has been on hold for about a week.) Sure hope you have that effect on more gentle writers here!

JudyB

JudyB