I have begun

iVillage Member
I have begun
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 10:02pm

I have started the writing school.

PixiePrincess

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-20-2009 - 2:49pm

Please don't be intimidated by your instructors, pixieprincess. They are there to teach you. (They're there to look good, sound good, and present themselves in a professional manner.)

Your first assignment is to help the staff get to know you. Don't be scared. Don't leave out any of the questions just because you think your answers are too long. Nobody ever told Tolstoy that War and Peace was too long, did they? You'll be doing your tutor a disservice if you cut your answers short or omit important ones only for the sake of brevity. (So says the Queen of Verbosity!) If there's a question you flat-out don't want to answer, though, don't answer. (That may tell them something too.)

Have fun. Learn lots. If you really want this, you'll get it.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-21-2009 - 7:25am

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-21-2009 - 1:56pm

Wouldn't it be grand if we could pick a writing school, go through the instruction, and come out writing nothing but gold? It would be even better if we could afford the school to begin with. ;-)

The day I met P.D.James, I was working on a mystery novel. Are you surprised I didn't want to look like P.D.James or talk like P.D.James? Probably not. I was younger, thinner, and a transplant to Florida from Chicago. In fact, after reading two of her novels, I didn't even want to write like P.D.James. I wanted to write like me - only better. (I'm sure Dame James didn't want to be anything like me either. LOL!)

Nearly 20 years later, my writing has improved a bit. I study my markets before trying to make a sale. I study trends in the industry. I research the language (things change!) and formats (they change too). I don't query and submit as much as I used to but the laser method of submission is much more successful than the shotgun method. Now instead of scattering submissions all over the place like buckshot, I aim that fine red laser light and generally hit the target. (Gotta stop using that laser as a pet toy and use it more often to get paid for writing.)

All the things I've learned about writing have taken time, attention (another A word!), and tons of practice. I've picked up a little bit from every workshop I've attended and possibly more from reading, both as instruction and example.

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-21-2009 - 9:39pm
I'm certainly not expecting overnight success.

PixiePrincess

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-22-2009 - 9:29am

Articles are likely to be your best bet.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-23-2009 - 5:13pm

I'm with Linda on the earning power of poetry and short stories. You can keep yourself in printer ink if you work hard and publish often. There might even be a dinner or two out with (or without) the kids. Of course, if you are able to publish often and have a fan base (for lack of another term), there may be a call for collections of your stories or poems.

JudyB