Help!

iVillage Member
Help!
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 5:38am

Hi everyone.

This board seems pretty slow, but then I like slow, intimate boards, so maybe this will be good for me.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
In reply to: reccap
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 3:17pm

Welcome to The Writing Life, Rebecca!

It does seem to be horribly slow this month, doesn't it? Sometimes September is like that. Kids go back to school. Vacations are probably over (except what we've saved for the holidays). Of course, maybe I'm getting old and boring. ;-)

You've discovered two of the biggest reasons for not being published: not submitting and not writing in the first place. We could remind each other of that

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 3:21pm
P.S.

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 5:42pm

Okay, let me tell you the idea for my last two books--this was what I launched them with:

• A fight on a mountain in a blizzard

• A fight on an island

And these were ideas that are inspiring upcoming projects:

• My father called me to tell me, "They just had a major drug bust!

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 8:37pm

Hi Judy!

I have had some success fitting in writing when she is sleeping-I think I'm frustrated about that because it is not nearly as much time as I think I should be writing.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-10-2009 - 9:17pm

I completely agree with you.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 6:31am

Generate it artificially:

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 1:08pm

Good answer, Linda! (Applause in the background and current Family Feud host returning to the podium.)

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-11-2009 - 2:25pm

The bread pudding turned out pretty yummy. Furry Murray, my larger half, said it was the best he'd ever eaten. He says that about a lot of things. (Have you ever watched the Barefoot Contessa? Her husband says the same thing all the time too.)

Every moment of your daughter's life is precious, Rebecca. She won't stay small forever. That's true. Neither will she be a toddler forever. Four years seems like a fair amount of time to work on our brains (mine needs help too). After that, she'll be kidnapped by school and you'll have more time to yourself. There will still be moments not to be missed (like her first solo on a bicycle) along the way.

Furry Murray and I have been feeling pretty stupid ourselves lately. It's happening slowly but not slowly enough. We're both in our 60s and like I've always said, thanks to Dan Quayle (I think), a mind is a terrible thing to lose. FM will tell me something three or four times in a day, not remembering he'd said it the first two or three times, and then tell me again (sometimes multiple times) the next day. He'll interrupt me when I'm telling him a story to ask a question (and sometimes it's about the story I'm telling) and I'll forget completely what I was talking about. I never used to need a shopping list. Now if I don't mark everything on the list as I put it in the basket, I'll miss something. I used to have an incredible memory. Now it's almost shot.

Yes, you may have been affected by the medication(s), Rebecca. Or, like me, it could be a case of use it or lose it. After all, spending five days a week talking to two German Shepherds can't be much more stimulating than talking to a baby. (One of the dogs is trying to learn to talk, though. She said "Out" clear as a bell the other day. Well, sort of like a mommy bell. You, I'm sure, are familiar with that clarity.)

One thing we can do right now is have little notebooks and pens or pencils in every room of the house. When an idea strikes, write it down. I do that mostly when I'm on the couch (maybe that deserves a bigger notebook!) watching TV or talking with Furry Murray (FM for short). It could be anything from something we need from the store to something I want to Google (or Bing!) the next day when I'm on the computer to ideas for stories or characters. I took the notebook out of the bathroom, though. Even though I get some of my best ideas in the bathroom, it's hard to write in the shower and even if I don't attempt underwater writing, the pages curl up pretty quickly just left on the vanity.

Maybe we can find some "brain exercises" to share. I'll look when I'm done here - if I remember.

We've both got to work through the frustration - and never give up.

JudyB

JudyB