Morning pages

iVillage Member
Morning pages
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 8:35am

I've decided that in order to get back to, or, more accurately, to *finally* get to some kind of writing schedule that I am going to commit to writing "morning pages" at least three days a week. My goal is to concentrate on fiction writing in the morning. I am not going to set a time limit yet. I hope to get about an hour of writing in but if all I manage is fifteen minutes, that is okay. The plan is to WRITE, not edit.

Tuesdays and Thursdays won't work for my schedule. But, the rest of the week is fairly open. So, I am starting today. Right now. This morning. I'll let you know how it works out.

Anyone else want to join? You're not limited by the *morning* part of the morning pages. You can write in the afternoon, the evening -- whenever.

~Tori

A Writer on the verge. A Writer on the brink. A Writer weary to the point she can hardly think! Her manuscripts are dog-eared, her pens are out of ink, computer's gone on strike and the printer's on the blink. But nothing will prevent her from writing through the night, glad for all she must endure to live the writing life.

~Tori

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better." ~ Samue

iVillage Member
In reply to: boomz1love
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 10:48am

Tori, between you and Rebecca, there may be no way the gentle writers at The Writing Life can fail.

When I'm writing my first drafts, I never edit. There's no point for me to waste time and energy fixing something that may end up in the trash. Nobody is going to see my drafts unless I want them to. Do I want perfectly spelled and punctuated garbage?

Think your morning pages might just fit in with what I'm doing and when I'm doing it. My morning, I'm afraid, will start around 12:30 every afternoon Monday through Friday. (If Furry Murray takes a day off in there, morning pages will be cancelled. It's gotten impossible to write when he's around.)

Have a few things to finish in the next couple of hours. Which wrapping paper should I use for the science experiments I took out of the refrigerator?

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 1:04pm

Hey Judy!

The morning pages thing worked pretty well this morning. I wrote for 40 minutes and put down 503 words which completed a chapter! It's not much but it is more than I wrote yesterday!

Hopefully, this will become a trend :) Let me know how your version of morning pages goes.

~Tori

A Writer on the verge. A Writer on the brink. A Writer weary to the point she can hardly think! Her manuscripts are dog-eared, her pens are out of ink, computer's gone on strike and the printer's on the blink. But nothing will prevent her from writing through the night, glad for all she must endure to live the writing life.

~Tori

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better." ~ Samue

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 2:13pm

Hey Tori!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 4:38pm

Tori, I have to admit, when I first read your post's title I read *mourning pages* instead of *morning* pages! That's probably because I've been spending more time mourning the pages I haven't been writing than I've actually been producing morning pages. Freudian slips at their best.

I've made many attempts at morning pages of my own. When I was in college (and actually all the way back to high school, come to think of it), I used to vow to wake up an hour earlier and spend that time writing. The extra hour of sleep inevitably won over. I've come to realize that I'm more of an evening pages sort of gal. It's always felt good to sit down and type until at least one goal's met in the day. Like you, I've found it time to resume the writing ritual, so I'm definitely joining you. Maybe between all of us, we'll manage to fill the whole day with writing.

Is it the autumn weather or maybe just the start of the school that's gotten us all so goal-oriented lately?

Thanks for the inspiration, Tori, and best of luck with your morning pages. No more mourning pages for us!

Ada

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 8:33pm

Ada: Haha! I love it! 'Mourning pages!' I'm with you on the *not* waking up an hour earlier to write. I could never stick to that plan either. Honestly, I am more creatively awake after midnight but I find that most of my evenings are devoted to my academic work. And, I feel *guilty* about writing fiction when I have so much "real" work to do. I know, it sounds crazy, but if I don't get the fiction writing done early in the day, I won't allow myself the luxury of writing the fun stuff. Since my daughter has school early, I'm up anyway. Might as well put that time to good use;)

Rebecca: I totally understand the mad morning rituals associated with having a darling little baby to tend after. It is really admirable that you are finding (making) time to write.

So morning pages, afternoon pages, evening pages, weekend pages -- bring it on! As long as we are writing some pages, well, that is progress:)

~Tori

~Tori

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-22-2009 - 5:09pm

Outlining one section a day sounds like a plan, Rebecca. You won't be thinking too far ahead of yourself and once the session of the day is complete, you can relax.

Your subject isn't an easy one. If you can't complete a section in one day, don't feel bad if it spills over to the next day. I did that with a frittata recipe - and it spilled over into the next week!

Love the new photo of Lily, BTW. She's such a cutie!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-22-2009 - 5:16pm

Mourning pages! LOL!

Sometimes they are. ;-)

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-23-2009 - 10:26am

UPDATE:

Well, the second day of my 'morning pages' project has been a productive one: I wrote for 45 minutes and managed to lay down 670 words. ANNNNDDDDD -- I had to *stop* myself as the muse was-a-singing in my ear. But, alas, duty calls. And I have an enormous workload today.

I think I love this. So far, it is working just as I had hoped it would. Day one had me at 503 words in 40 minutes and a completed chapter. Day two has me at 670 words after just 45 minutes which sets me in good stead with a new chapter. Not bad for 85 minutes work. And, it is waaay more than I would be writing (at least fiction writing) without the schedule.

Anyone else have any morning/afternoon/evening pages updates?

~Tori

~Tori

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-23-2009 - 2:14pm

Like most good ideas, I jumped into morning pages with enthusiasm. (Actually, morning pages aren't a new idea for me. I've been avoiding them for years.)

Tuesday made me think that enthusiastic jumping had caused me to twist an ankle since I didn't write any recipes. Then I realized FM had taken the morning - and then some - from work to go for a blood test. I was bummed to think I hadn't written one recipe, not even half of one. Then I realized that FM always seems to throw off my writing. After that I was happy about the dishes added to the list in each chapter.

I was having a slow writing day again today. That happens on garbage day. I do most of the yard work on garbage day so the yard waste doesn't get a chance to spread. But the ribs that Desi is reheating in the slow cooker (he thinks he is anyway) are starting to perfume the house. I'm not walking out the door for a while . . . .

JudyB

JudyB