The Price of Books Will Go Up

iVillage Member
The Price of Books Will Go Up
Thu, 02-04-2010 - 9:56am

And authors probably won't see a cent of the increase.

The price of paper is expected to rise in the near future. As usual, that will be felt most by book and magazine publishers. (Newspaper publishers are fleeing the print game like rats from a sinking ship.)

If you're thinking that all publishers could just go digital like newspapers seem to be doing, it's not going to be that simple. Besides the fact that some people just will never give up print books and magazines, if you've missed the flap over Macmillan and Amazon, you've missed a war. Macmillan's deal with Apple for the iPad raised the retail price of an e-book to somewhere between $12.50 and $14.50. Macmillan then approached Amazon with the same figures.

What was Amazon to do? Apple was going after their Kindle with the iPad and now Macmillan was going after their price structure! Amazon's gut reaction was to have a tantrum. They removed all the buy buttons from all of Macmillan's merchandise, both digital and print. It was an exciting weekend but Sunday night Amazon said "Uncle." The buy buttons weren't back on Amazon's website when I checked this morning but from what I heard the new negotiations will take from 30 to 90 days. Only then can Macmillan sell a book on Amazon.

The AAR, where agent's find their power, went after Amazon on Macmillan's side. Now Harper Collins has joined the fight - and had their buy buttons removed as well.

Trying to keep up with all this mess gave me a headache. Trying to make sense of it all moved the ache to the south.

Looks as if the price of books will be going up no matter what the price of paper or if they're made of paper at all.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-05-2010 - 12:03pm

I like books. I like to hold them and read them and dont want a "device". But the cost of everything is going up from bananas to books - when gas goes from $2 to $3 a gallon the gas that has to transport those books is going to go up. When employers have to pay more in salaries and benfits to their workers the cost of book printing will go up. Right now I think most books are still printed in the US but i wonder if they will go to China with everything else -
I wonder if it would be possible to recycle books - maybe not the hard binding but why couldnt the paper pages be recycled and made into new paper somehow? Would that help keep the costs to where i could still keep buying them???
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-06-2010 - 10:47am

One of the bad things about growing old is that you can remember 26-cent per gallon gasoline and $1.95 paperback books. Of course, back when whole chickens went for ten cents a pound, minimum wage was only around a dollar an hour.

Prices always go up on nearly everything. That works well and seems fair when wages rise with them - or almost. When wages disappear, it's a disaster. Unemployment figures in the newspaper may as well be written by Robert Bloch or Clive Barker. I mean really! The U.S. lost, what?, 150,000 more jobs and the unemployment number went down. Of course, you can make statistics say anything you want.

Frankly, I have problems reading cookbooks printed in the U.K. I also have problems making sense of product instructions printed in China. A cookbook printed in China scares me. Can you imagine what would happen to fiction?

I'm sure paperback books could be recycled. They do it with phone books. Hardcover books would need new machines to strip the bindings but probably could be chopped into new paper too. You can't have my books, though. I love books so much that I never part with them.

With hardcover book prices heading to $35, I doubt even recycled paper will help. Since a new book is a luxury for me these days (and always bought at a discount), methinks libraries might think about increasing the size of parking lots and becoming regular bus stops.

JudyB

JudyB