Should've been reading NOT writing!

iVillage Member
Should've been reading NOT writing!
Mon, 02-08-2010 - 9:11pm

Ahhhh! I should have been READING not writing my fiction. Why, why, why do I always get clobbered over the head by my darned muse when I should be focusing on other things?!

Well, now that I am about 300 pages behind in my reading for the week, I may as well luxuriate in the meager numbers I put down in my fiction wip yesterday and today. I have added 3912 new words. They're probably all drivel, but they are at least pushing my wip in the right direction.

So, now I am eleven chapters into this latest project and have the lofty position of knowing exactly where it is going. No 'murky middle' for this one. I just wish I had a better and/or more regular writing schedule. Then again, with my real life schedule, that may be asking too much.

Anyone else dealing with muses appearing at the most inopportune times, feel free to commiserate here. Happy writing :)

~Tori

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better." ~ Samuel Beckett

~Tori

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better." ~ Samue

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 10:16am

Sounds as if you now need to read nearly an extra page for every word you wrote, Tori. How hard did those words come?

Perhaps you should double check your schedule on Sundays so you don't do this to yourself again. It's hard, though, to do anything but write when that nasty Muse gives you such clarity. Sometimes real life must suffer when we're writing fiction - and we must suffer with it.

My Muse would rather talk to the dog these days than write recipes. She'd rather eat too. Unfortunately, she doesn't want to eat anything that really fits in a frugal cookbook. In the last few weeks she's been feasting on rib-eye steak (it lasted two days so it was almost frugal), ice cream, convenience food, and chocolate candies. I needed sweets for the cookbook but when I'm not chomping on candy, I'm making up cookies and cakes with exotic ingredients. I need more self control!

Luckily, there are activities other than writing needed to make a book. There is now a list of publishers waiting for me to finish cooking and writing. Looking at the books in their catalogs provides motivation. Studying how to craft a book proposal has let me know I need more food clips in my resume. I'm thinking Chile Pepper might be interested in those cookies and cakes. I'm searching for more magazines to query. Selling a few articles will inspire me to sell more and also pay for ingredients.

Now that we both know not to always trust our Muses, we can get on with a more orderly writing life - maybe.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 3:10pm

It seems like there's always something else we should be doing.

Lately I've had a plenty of time to write (winter's slow at the restaurant, when we normally need two people, we've been getting by with just one) but I'm having a terrible time getting out to exercise. If I have time to write, I should be able to carve out a teeny chunk in the day when I go for a walk. While I seem to be getting the butt in the chair mentality necessary to writing production down, I *do* need to exercise to insure that I can still keep getting said butt out of the chair. But instead I make excuses: it's too cold, I don't have time, my snowshoes will fall off, I don't want to walk to the mailbox again. The excuses are almost as bad as the ones I make about not writing. ;) And just like not writing, not exercising makes me cranky and also a mild insomniac. The poor boyfriend will be taking me on forced marches before long.

I know you know this already, but there's give and take to everything. As Bridget Jones says, "it's a truth universally known to man that when one part of your life starts going well, another part falls spectacularly to pieces."

Sure you should have been reading, but hey, no murky middle! As someone who just slogged through the revision process with her murky middle I can assure you that you've saved yourself a ton of time by nipping that issue in the bud! I think you definitely deserve a moment to revel in your accomplishment. It's probably better to go with your muse then to squash it and feel guilty about it later. The reading's always there, the writing not so much. If you scold your muse, it'll probably scold back!

300 pages are a lot of pages, but I bet if you deal with it one page at a time, it won't seem so bad.

Happy writing and reading!

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-09-2010 - 8:26pm

Okay, getting caught-up on the reading wasn't as bad as I imagined it would be. I even found time to go to a reading and book signing in support of a friend who writes some truly wonderful romance. I'm still glad I wrote. I feel like it was a good way to play hooky.

Ada: I know just what you mean about exercise excuses ;)

Judy: The words came easily... that was the issue. I had to *stop* myself from writing more.

~Tori

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail Better." ~ Samue

iVillage Member
Wed, 02-10-2010 - 9:04am

Tori, considering the amount of reading you've had to do for years, along with the reading you've done for pleasure, there were no doubts you could catch up on 300 pages.

I'm glad you wrote, too, since you didn't seem to suffer and there won't be a muddle in the middle.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-12-2010 - 9:54am
I think writing is one of the best ways of playing hooky. Since we so often play hooky from writing, it's kind of fun to see the tables turned every once in a while. I'm glad the make-up reading was no problem. It's always nice when we discover our panic is just yet another figment of our imaginations. :)
iVillage Member
Sun, 02-28-2010 - 1:41pm

Write! You can always read.