What is a "Pinched Crown"?

iVillage Member
What is a "Pinched Crown"?
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 11:12am

I am at a stage where I am learning about publishing, but I cannot find on the Internet just what IS a "pinched Crown" referring to paperbacks, usually about the size 6.69"x9.61"

Could anyone please try to describe what that is to me?

www. It's Not Mental .com

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 3:46pm

I think that this is a reference to book printing - when the pages for a book are printed they are sometimes printed in big sheets of paper with several pages of the book on one sheet & then are cut and bound. The more pages you can get on one sheet the more money you save - because paperback books are smaller you can get more pages on one sheet and i THINK 'pinched crown' is a reference to the sheet that lets you put the highest number of pages - 12 or 16.
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 6:22pm

I'll have to agree that pinched crown is some unit of measure used in printing. I found "crown" but not "pinched crown." This is embarrassing since I lived with a printer for 21 years. He was my father. He did newspapers, magazines, and catalogs, though, and never got involved with books - except to read them.

If the true meaning and significance of "pinched crown" makes itself known to me, you can rest assured I'll come back and let you know. Something that hard to find deserves sharing.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-12-2010 - 8:07pm
I didn't find any references to it with regards to professional publishing. It does turn up on a lot of POD and self-publishing sites.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 8:47am

You would think that since they list it as a type of book format option, they would define it somewhere! I looked for an image and didn't find it.

Well, I am reading a publishing book right now, so if I come across it, I'll share what it says.

Thank you all for your responses.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 9:28am

Barlan,

But then the book itself would look exactly like any other, just the specified size.. This has nothing to do with a different LOOK of the book?

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-16-2010 - 6:56pm

And the winner is... BARLAN!

Silly me... I contacted a family member that works at a printing company, and asked. It is, indeed, a term meaning that this size was the best pages area per big paper sheet without wasting paper trimming the pages down to size. However, since they now have different presses for different paper sizes, and now, digital printing, he thinks it perhaps is even less relevant for that.

Anyway, it should be the cheapest way to get all your words printed on paper - maximizing the surface area. More words, less pages, yet uses up the same amount of their press paper.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 10:58am

Whew! I'm glad that's settled!

I can see why you needed to know this, Naomi, as a soon to be publisher. Still wonder why it was so hard to find. Is it an industry secret?

Once you learn everything you need to know (to the degree you seem to learn everything), you'll be the smartest person I know!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 7:31am
> wonder why it was so hard to find. Is it an industry secret?

Not a secret but... Barlan, where did you learn what it is?

I have looked further into the topic and found that when using an on-demand printer, this STILL is, indeed, the best deal. On a longer book, you may pay 20-30 pages less per book. If you have tables and charts, they may fit better on the page.

It makes me wonder why so many use the 6x9 size rather than a little bigger, especially if they want larger text size or the book is long. I recently read some REALLY LONG (700+ page) novels with small text. If they hadn't been sooooo gooood, I wouldn't have bothered since my eyesight is not the best - even with glasses (glasses can't fix everything, and neither can eye surgery although more of that is in my future as well ARRGH!)

Anyway, I chose a font that is a little larger and easier to read, which my old-fogey friends and family (and me) appreciate.

So... I think I will probably go with the pinched crown size.

Wow... and that is learning just ONE little thing!!! 564 more to go (this is a joke... hmmm... maybe not)...

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-18-2010 - 11:15am

I hope we can all learn things with you, Naomi, even 565 (I hope that's an exaggeration)

JudyB