Time For More Project Updates?

iVillage Member
Time For More Project Updates?
Sun, 03-21-2010 - 1:21pm

I've pretty well been locked in a cookbook for the last week. Where have you been?

JudyB

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-21-2010 - 2:27pm

The window with my cookbook in it has been open for a week. Haven't even powered off the computer in that time. Oh, I let it go to sleep when I do but when I wake up the book is waiting for me.

The narrative parts are finished as far as I can tell without an edit. Some recipes need to be imported from other files. Yet more recipes must be written, some of them cooked for the very first time. Next week Izzy and I are trying Pancake Lasagna, a breakfast or dessert with no meat or tomato and the closest it gets to cheese is cream cheese. Had an epiphany about midnight that may make it exactly what I want.

We're having a thunderstorm right now. Think it's time to power off. The Daring Dell could use the rest. I probably could, too, but there's chicken in the fridge to be portioned, frozen, and cooked.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 9:33am

I haven't been quite as locked in with my project: last week I had three articles that needed to get out the door. But as much as I've stressed about deadlines and new responsibilities, I only have *ONE* chapter left to revise in the novel. Since I have today and tomorrow off, I'm hoping to be done with the project by the end of tomorrow. Goodness knows, there are plenty of new projects that are demanding my attention. If all goes my way, I'll have a print out of the novel in my hands no later than tomorrow evening. I'm looking forward to that!

Sounds like you're making great progress Judy. Hooray!

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 4:29pm

I put the finishing touches on the second picture book today and am hoping to send it off tomorrow.

Alison

My Blog

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 8:08pm

Just signed up for two pitch sessions at the June 12 writer's conference.

Still cleaning up three areas.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 9:05pm

You're gonna beat me, Ada! And I don't even have a plot and characters to worry about. I'm so excited for you!

We're lucky that we have other work to do when we've completed this phase of our books. Too often writers, after working so hard and so long on a project, suffer a sort of separation anxiety. They doubt their abilities. Sometimes they think they should have taken up needlepoint instead of writing. Other times they feel lost. Without the writing project that consumed their lives, there's a sense of emptiness. We don't have those problems. Even if it seems as if we do, we're too busy writing something else. There's no time to let doubts enter our minds. There are too many projects

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 7:50am

Good job, Alison! It does feel good to accomplish something so important, doesn't it?

Good to hear about your article submission too. I usually do the query thing myself. Never used Elance. It sort of feels to me like selling to the lowest bidder. In fact, I've recently heard it suggested to non-writers as a place to get copy written for "next to nothing." That doesn't sound like a place I want to look for work.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 8:11am

Two pitch sessions? How long is the conference? You might end up exhausted if it only lasts one day. ;-) Have you pitched at a conference before? Oh, I've got a hundred questions . . . .

You've pared your manuscript down to three spots to iron out? Fantastic!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 5:31pm

I'm actually running the pitch room, so I'll actually get to see all the agents all day (most are repping non-fiction). It takes four total volunteers to run in--two in the pitch room and two to check people in. The check in volunteers bring over the writers at the appointed time, we send them to the agents, and start the timer. I call a time warning when it's 5 and 2 minutes out (the sessions are 10 minutes each), and then when time's up. It's very important to stay on time in the morning; otherwise, it'll affect the entire day. It's always chaotic. We usually have something go wrong, and people are always trying to sneak in--I'm not sure how all this is going to work with the addition of me having two pitch sessions!

And I have pitched at the same conference before. It was when I had a cowriter. That was actually the reason I volunteered. It was back, probably in 2004. We went to pitch and really had no idea what the story was about, though we thought we did. The agent liked us--we had her laughing--but the book didn't have a story, so she rejected us. The pitch session itself was run very badly. We were supposed to have only ten minutes, and the volunteers weren't paying attention to timing. I think we got 25 minutes. Everything was running behind, and I told the then secretary that I could do it better. I used to conduct army physical training tests, and it's not that different. Just need a timer and to let the people know when the time's up. We actually suggested changes to how they did the sessions. One was to change how they were scheduled. They put them back to back, which made it hard to clear the room. We suggested instead of scheduling them every ten minutes, schedule them every fifteen minute. Fewer sessions, but we have five minutes of wiggle room to clear the room and get the next group in. The other was having the writers check-in at a different room, and then brought over. That way, we don't have people hovering outside the door. They've asked us back every year since, and the returning agents remember us.

It's one day, but it's all day. I actually never see much of the conference because I'm in the pitch room the other day. My brain's melting by the end ...

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 7:15pm

Sounds hectic, Linda. No wonder it turns your brain molten.

Sounds as if you're good at it, though, and that is what the conference needs.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-24-2010 - 9:55am

That sounds exciting and chaotic and nerve-wracking all in one big lump. Good luck with it all Linda and have fun!

Pages