A newbie looking for writers....

iVillage Member
A newbie looking for writers....
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 3:56pm

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the writing forums, a past lurker in the parenting forums a few years back, and I always remembered the ivillage community to be insightful, supportive, and motivating. So I thought I would try to get some feedback about a book that I'm putting together.

I am looking for writers to tell a story, aimed at kids aged 10-13, about what their life was like at that age. It can be a specific situation or an overall emotion. The mission is to let kids know that they are not alone, that one person understands what they are going through, in hopes to make the situation they are experiencing a tad more bearable. And so this book, written in the form of diary entries, is meant to help that child feel less alone.

If you would like to read more about this project or to contribute, you can visit www.inkblots.ca.

I would love any comments, feedback or suggestions!

Thank you all so much,
Jen

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 7:44pm

Welcome, jen_blots, to The Writing Life! You've found a bunch of writers here.

Your project sounds very ambitious, Jen. Your mission is laudable. Kids that age should be encouraged to write and to help their peers feel as if they're not alone.

I remember when I was that age and wrote filler articles for the local newspaper. I remember feeling robbed when I realized I would have been paid had I submitted an invoice with each article. My payment for two and a half years of short news reporting was that lesson. See my point? I would never expect any writer, young or old, to dig into her soul for no payment at all.

Your website was impressive. Would it be possible to give each contributor a copy of the book? Will it be an e-book or print? That may be rich payment for a writer that age.

Good luck with your book. I hope it's a success.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 9:58pm
Thanks for your response Judy, and yes, I absolutely see your point. Depending on the responses, it may be an e-book or I may self-publish. I will give each contributor a copy. However, this book is not for personal gain. A portion of the proceeds will go to charity, if any money is actually made. My dream is to have this book in schools, maybe as a teaching guide, maybe just in the school library. I have been very lucky in my life, this is my way of giving back, the only way I know how.
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 11:42am

You may want to offer both a print and electronic version of your book. Your cost may be less with an e-book. Young people seem drawn to things electronic. Print books, on the other hand, fit nicely on bookshelves. Parents and grandparents are more likely to read them and save them - forever.

Your project is a wonderful way of giving back. It will be a lot of work but sounds like a labor of love. Keep your dream alive!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 12:12pm
Thanks Judy! I really appreciate your advice.