Writing Updates

iVillage Member
Writing Updates
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 10:17am

I've left you alone for a while. Hope you got some writing done during my silence. Personally, I spent the time arguing with my bank (they're retarded!), and taking naps. It's amazing how much energy I put into finishing one cookbook. Having a hard time into my grandson's cookbook. Time to get serious with it - and keep it fun.

Are you experiencing any obstacles with your writing this month? Have you been pounding the keyboard until it has bruises?

I'm sure you can either show me empathy or show me what a real writer can do. Help get me back on track. That might put some fire in your fingers as well.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-07-2010 - 6:35pm

I have six queries out right now--I'm not rushing the process and sending out as many as I can. Three to five a week is doable, because I also have to research each one before I send it (and I keep running into agents who are listed as taking the genre but don't or are closed to submissions).

I've also started the first draft of the next book, with a general goal of getting fifty pages a week done rather than a per page goal. I think that's more doable than a per day goal, because it makes what I accomplish during the week more flexible. My overall goal is just to get the bones of a story down so I can start revising. I hope the first draft will take a month or so.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 1:58pm

Looks like the word for the day is "doable." Think I'll print it - BIG - on a sticky note and stick it to my screen.

Limiting the number of queries to those you can research thoroughly may seem to slow things down. If you spend one day researching an agent, you've saved several weeks you'd waste waiting for the rejection telling you they've closed their office to submissions.

Setting your writing goals in line with something you know has worked for you just makes sense! Writing the skeleton of your story first makes sense too. Sort of like a linear outline.

Please let us know how this is working for you.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 2:50pm

Well, I have accomplished absolutely nothing this past week.

Alison

My Blog

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-09-2010 - 9:50am

Well, Alison, I know about nothing. (Feel free to print this at any time and push it in my face since I may never say that again.) That's all I've done this month.

Getting choked up on a picture book sounds familiar too. Could a long list of cookbooks that need to be written (like now!)

JudyB

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-11-2010 - 8:34pm
First rejection just came back. Dropped two more queries in the mail (six out total).

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 12:24pm
First rejection? The worst is over on this one and you've recovered admirably. It's time to get someone else a chance with your novel.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-18-2010 - 5:05pm

I'm still cooking like a four-year old in Chef Garrison. My kitchen looks like it! Time to clean out the microwave.

Think I'll write about measuring next week and then become five. Garrison is five now so I should be able to get help with that chapter. Then I'll be on my own for the rest of the book. I'd like to see it published before he's too old for it.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 12:59pm

I'm dealing with some serious illnesses in the family, so staying on course with the writing is a challenge.

However, since there's no day job and writing is how I pay the bills, I have to just sit down and do it.

I taught an intense dialogue workshop for Savvy Authors where I expected 12 students and got 60. I'm finalizing bookings for teaching jobs for 2011 -- I'll be teaching quite a few workshops here and there throughout the year.

My last play with a particular company just opened (they've produced three of my plays in the past year) and the royalties help. I'm hoping when they relocate, we'll work together again, but until there's a signed contract, I"m not counting it a done deal.

ARDEUR, the collection of essays on Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake character, which contains an essay by me was released.

I'm juggling a couple of novels, a screenplay, and revisions on another novel that has to get out the door soon, and I've got two novels out on submission. I'm also preparing a direct mail campaign for some short term business writing gigs that pay properly (not those obscenely insulting content mills/content mill rates) to fill in between the fiction and the plays. I'm prepping some scripts for a round of meetings in early June.

And it's Triple Crown season, so I'm writing about horse racing again for FEMME FAN, with DIVINE CAROLINE picking up some of the articles, too.

May 14 -- today -- is WRITER'S WORTH DAY, to help teach writers to value their work and not sell themselves short. Lori Widmer's blog is great anyway for freelance pros (http://loriwidmer.blogspot.com), but her posts for Writers' Worth Day are especially important:

http://loriwidmer.blogspot.com/2010/05/3rd-annual-writers-worth-day.html

It's busy, but we're getting there. Not writing is simply not an option.

Ink in My Coffee: http://devonellington.wordpress.com Hex Breaker: http://hexbreaker.devonellingtonwork.com www.fearlessink.com www.devonellingtonwork.com