Pre-Mother's Day Writing Update.

iVillage Member
Pre-Mother's Day Writing Update.
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 11:08am

If you're a mother, Sunday is your day. If you have a mother, Sunday is her day.

If you're a writer, every day should be your day. You're allowed to have a few days off (just a few). Mother's Day should be one of them.

What are you writing? How is it going? What are your plans for your writing project? Any problems or questions slowing you down?

Let us know - even if you tell us on Sunday.

Have a happy Mother's Day!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-07-2010 - 1:15pm

Just promised myself I'd re-read Zen in the Art of Writing by Ray Bradbury. Think I need it. I've written a whole page and a quarter this month in my grandson's cookbook. I should be ashamed.

Haven't finished much of anything this month. The yard isn't any closer to planting than it was at Christmas. Now I wish I'd put some muscle into it when it was cold outside. It would be nice to have some veggies growing. Guess I'll just have to live on parsley, oregano, and thyme. One of my neighbors gave me a marigold a few months ago and it's blooming.

How hard can it be to write a chapter of a children's cookbook that teaches how to measure ingredients? Apparently pretty hard considering my progress. Maybe I shouldn't have started with dry measure. :-) Maybe I'll get the wet stuff out of the way and go back to the dry . . . .

JudyB

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-09-2010 - 1:25pm

Too much sun and too much heat yesterday. Had a good time at the event yesterday. Put together most of the signs to put on the road to attract attention. Held the balloons to go on the signs, chairs, and tables. (Learned something there. An assembly line of inflating balloons makes a great team building exercise.) Held balloons, held the door. About the time I wanted to say "hold it!," someone handed me some envelopes to write on with the contents of gift certificates to go inside. A pen! I felt at home - and found a job to do in the air conditioning! By the time the food was ready, I was too sick from the sun to think about eating so I hung out standing in the shade for a while then excused myself to go home.

Never did eat dinner! Betty White woke me from a couch coma. Making up for that today! What's that line from the Super Bowl commercial? You're someone else if you're hungry.

Between eating for yesterday and today, I'll be measuring water and trying to write what I did for Garrison's cookbook. If that's done before bed, I'll do the same with dry ingredients. Found some cornmeal that needs to go into a cannister. That should work!

Think I'll buy myself a Mother's day present too.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 6:08pm

It's possible for the very presence of my writing life to make it feel as though I don't have a writing life?

It's kind of a perplexing question, but I think it's true! I've been so caught up with writing articles, working on my radio documentary, writing commentaries, etc. etc. that sometimes I forget that I'm actually making my way through life with my writing. I've been too busy to notice! For the most part, it's been fun and interesting, but I also find myself missing the fiction, which has basically been put on hold until the end of the summer season.

With my full time job and freelance responsibilities on top of that employment, I don't find myself with a lot of time to spend in the realm of fiction. I know that stuff that pays needs to take priority, but after that big push to get the novel finished by the end of March, I find myself wanting to sneak back into the comfort of a fictional world, I've created. I guess it really just gives me something to look forward to this winter.

The novel is in the hands of a trusted reader at the current moment. I may place the draft in the hands of a couple other trusted readers so I can get some feedback before I start thinking about sending it out to potential agents. That's a process I probably start in the middle of October.

Otherwise, my writing life involves a lot of looking at the "Writer's Digest" on the nightstand, wishing I had time to read them. I'm currently reading Anne Lamott's "Traveling Mercies." Not a writing book, per se, but I'm always struck by her writing style. Her "Bird by Bird" is one of my favorite books on writing.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-10-2010 - 11:23pm

Not sure but I think I may

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 9:28am

I remember Tori mentioning this sort of thing when she talks about proofreading for a living. Sometimes you get so caught up in the business of writing that you forget that you're doing what you wanted to do.

I think that's mostly where I'm coming from. Right now, writing is work. There's no creative sparkle leading me through the day. Rather, it's a matter of deadlines, of pounding out the "O"s onto the page. Some of the work is really interesting and fulfilling. Other stuff (like the little articles for the local monthly) have become so everyday that they're teetering on the verge of being "dull." I'm starting to feel stuck in a writing rut -- albeit, a writing rut I wanted to visit. To be honest, I'm glad for the rut. I'm glad for the supplemental income it provides and I'm really, really glad it feels like a rut. That means it'll motivate me to get out of the rut, instead of staying put writing local features for the rest of my life. It's been a great way to get me back on my journalism tract, but eventually, I want more than this. There's not time to really reach for more at the current moment, but I think I'll reassess things a bit at the end of the summer.

Fiction always seems new and exciting. I suppose that's what makes it seem like what writing should be. There's always a way to write yourself out of a rut (or at least, start a new story.) It rises above the everyday hum-drum and let's you reside in a completely different world. Maybe it's that sense of escape I'm missing at the current moment . . . .

Wishing you the best with your cookbook projects. Have you been able to re-delve into "The Zen of Writing" yet? Keep us posted on whether/when you decide to return to fiction writing.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 11:16am

I was never bored or felt in a rut when I was proofreading for others. That was probably because I not only liked the client but the material. Of course, there was not much business and I worked pretty fast.

Writing the cookbooks, no matter how much fun it can be, occasionally becomes drudgery. There are days when I feel so deep in a rut that I never open my Word program. That's not good. I examined the parts of writing the cookbooks that felt like work and the parts that entertained me. It almost goes without saying that I love the cooking part. I really love to cook so that's why I said it - twice. Writing the recipes sometimes feels like work. What almost always feels like hard work is describing something that seems natural for me to a raw beginner. "Stir" and "mix" may mean different things to different people and nothing at all to a three-year old.

Think I'll try to make the work more fun. Won't make the fun more work, though.

The Zen of Writing is still sitting next to my computer. I really should try to mow the back lawn today but I've just recovered from Saturday's sun. This may be a good afternoon to sit inside and read - and write.

JudyB

JudyB