Another Writing Update

iVillage Member
Another Writing Update
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 5:04pm

Hope you're all doing well with your writing. Please let us know.

I've got a few questions. (Maybe you do too!) What are you working on right now? How long do you think it will take you to finish? Are you freelancing, working under contract, writing for yourself?

JudyB

JudyB

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 8:29am

Some days it feels like I'm writing for fun. Others it feels like hard work. Think the thing is that after hours in the kitchen I'm too tired to write. Too tired to write? Never! Well, sometimes. Most of the time my back hurts, my feet hurt, I'm hot. Every once in a while I cut myself. (Gotta sharpen those knives!) Sometimes I burn myself.

The funny thing is that I love writing cookbooks. Wanted to start about 40 years ago. Had a bunch of titles worked out. Wrote recipe cards when I thought I might forget what to do. Then my typewriter broke. (If you remember, back then we didn't have computers.) Never wrote the "How to Feed" series. The world never got to read "How to Feed a Hungry Husband" or a starving student or darling daughter.

I miss writing fiction but none of my WIPs can lure me from Chef Garrison. Neither can a backache. I've promised myself at least ten minutes a day on my grandson's cookbook. Sometimes that's as long as I can sit without pain. Then there are times I can pound the keys for hours.

I've caught up with Garrison agewise. We're cooking like a five-year old now. This will be a fun chapter. As I finish a recipe, I'll send it to my daughter. Then Garrison will make the dish and report to his mother any changes it needs. I'm going to be edited by a five-year old! (Some of you might feel that all editors act like five-year olds. Some of you may be right.)

Time to get back to work. Finish last night's mac 'n' cheese then move on to Chicken Toes. Forgot to write the meatloaf! See y'all later . . . .

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 10:03am

Right now I'm freelancing and working under a couple contracts. Most of the time it's pretty fun. It can be a lot of work though too.

I'm writing articles (that's freelance), finishing up the first piece in my six-part radio documentary and delving into my summer "day job" which involves a lot of manual writing, volunteer coordination, and grant writing (the latter two are contracts). Right now, it seems like I do a lot of researching and editing and just a teeny bit of writing. It's all interesting and fulfilling in its own way, but it can start to feel a little all consuming. It'll all be better when I have an office set up for the day job . . . I hope!

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 6:08pm

Having an office set up the way you like it goes a long way in making your work enjoyable. Doing something you enjoy in the first place takes it to the finish.

I can't hit the right keys today to save my soul. Knew I should have hacked off all my nails yesterday.

Tell me about feeling like you're not writing. Seems I spend more time cooking and cleaning than writing.

Oh, when setting up that office, be sure to get a great chair!

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 11:11am
Just got reminded that everything I write counts as writing. Do you know how good that feels?

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-24-2010 - 9:48pm

Got a request for a partial!

Of course it doesn't mean anything at this point, but at least the query worked.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 12:23am

I know I've been a stranger, for a few years now maybe. I used to post back in college.

I have not been writing anything but blog entries lately. I need to get back to my novel. I've been a little stuck, so I started reading more books on writing. I read Magic Writing by Gail Carson Levine last month, and I used her writing exercises to help me write a few pages of my novel. I read Writing Down the Bones: Freeing the Writer Within by Natalie Goldberg. She had some helpful information too.
Hopefully I will put all of this writing advice to work for me soon. Sometimes reading about writing is just an excuse for not writing, but I think I needed this.

Jessica
My novel/WIP - First Draft
My blog
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not... a sense of humor was given to us to console us for what we are. -Mark McGinnis

Jessica
My blog
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not... a sense of humor was given to us to consol

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 6:18am
If you're stuck, skip ahead. Don't let one place keep you from making progress.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 9:53am
Thanks. :)

Jessica
My blog
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not... a sense of humor was given to us to console us for what we are. -Mark McGinnis

Jessica
My blog
Imagination was given to us to compensate for what we are not... a sense of humor was given to us to consol

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 2:36pm
Congrats, Linda! Let's hope a good start leads to a great finish.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-25-2010 - 2:55pm

Welcome back, Jessica!

Blogs can sure eat up our writing time but they can also be beneficial. More than once I've forgotten I owe the blog a post as I push to finish another chapter of my WIP. Then I go to the blog to rectify that situation and get pulled to something else and leave a half-finished chapter on an orphaned screen.

I've never read Magic Writing. I'll have to check it out. I blame Natalie Goldberg, though, for my pen collection. I keep trying to find the most comfortable pens I can and it's all her fault. I love that woman!

Linda's got it right. If you're stuck in your writing, no amount of reading about writing is going to get you unstuck. Leave out the hard part and press on. Just don't forget to go back and fill in your blanks. ;-)

Good to have you back!

JudyB

JudyB

Pages