Writing Updates for June 5, 2010 +

iVillage Member
Writing Updates for June 5, 2010 +
Sat, 06-05-2010 - 8:30am

It's been a while since I started a new update thread. I hope everyone is still writing. I certainly am!

I found two writing challenges and got involved in both. The best part is that I can claim the same word count for both! Do you belong to any groups that have (or could start) a challenge? Maybe you could challenge a writing friend to a race.

Heard a rumor that it's slow time at publishers so it might be a good time to send out those queries.

JudyB

JudyB

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-05-2010 - 10:23am

I cannot tell a lie. In order to get anything written yesterday, I resorted to starting yet another cookbook! (Got tired of conversing with the dog and writing for a five-year old.)

Let's see . . . the frugal cookbook is waiting for a rewrite, the kid's cookbook is at age 5 out of 13, cooking for one is just a collection of recipes so far, and now a book of scones. Four out of eight ain't bad.

Make that nine - unless I put the muffins and the scones in the same book.

Yikes! I may never return to fiction again. Well, maybe if I want a real escape from cookbooks . . . .

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-08-2010 - 5:43pm

Sounds like you are doing awesome Judy!

Alison

My Blog

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-09-2010 - 10:25am

Just loved your blog post on the cookbook, Alison! Your girls look like naturals in the kitchen.

If you think whipping

JudyB

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-13-2010 - 5:34pm
I'm waiting on a friend to finish with a book he's read, another book with another friend. I'm trying to decide if I want to wait on them or get working on projects needing finished.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 9:35pm

I pitched to two agents at a writer's conference this week. I got a couple of really good pieces out of the two agents that I can also use on future query letters.

Both really, really liked the idea of a thriller plopped into urban fantasy. So that needs to go into the query.

One agent also suggested slanting my credits to show cross-genre appeal. I'd been leaving them off because they weren't in my genre, and Nathan Bransford had said to leave them off for that reason.

I'm also looking at doing a couple of short stories to see if I can qualify for membership in SFFWA. One of the agents said she considered membership a way to show how serious you are about your work.

------

Writing Blog |

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 2:38am
Joelle, sounds like a case of do you want to wait or do you want to do something. I'd opt for doing something.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 3:14am

Sounds as if you know how to work a conference, Linda.

Amazing how agents advice sometimes seems to differ so much. Guess that means, contrary to public opinion, they are human after all.

Best of luck getting into SFFWA! They should be knocking on your door.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-17-2010 - 6:31am
it's looking like Finn's dad wants him today, instead of tomorrow, so I think once I get him down there, probably this afternoon, I'll write.

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a

Love and Light, Joelle

Homeschooling mom to a 11yr old hydrogen molecule.

Follow me to these boards:

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-17-2010 - 11:36am
Thank exes for little favors! Extra writing time is always good. Make the most of it.

JudyB

JudyB

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-17-2010 - 3:57pm

I've been writing "Chef Garrison" every day for quite a long time. Sometimes I substitute an article or a blog post. Haven't taken one day off since some time in May! And know what? It hasn't hurt at all!

Chapter Six, when the chef-to-be is six years old has me mesmerized. We're taking the things Garrison learned when he was five (or will when I e-mail Chapter Five to my daughter) and making variations. So far we've got five different versions of macaroni and cheese and I'm working on the third meatloaf. I love this chapter so much that I don't want it to end.

Think I might name a blog Chapter Six. If anyone ever wants me involved in a restaurant, it'll have to be named Chapter Six. If Izzy gets a cat, it would have to be named Chapter Six. Now watch, just like three years after I came up with the concept of "Chef Garrison" I found out Chef Garrison is a character on The Simpsons, the minute I name something Chapter Six, I'll find out it really means something else. A Google search shows I'm pretty safe.

JudyB

JudyB

Pages