Tips for flying with baby

iVillage Member
Tips for flying with baby
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 3:28pm

Hi ladies,

DH and I are preparing for another trip to visit my family in Canada, but this time by plane. We will be flying for about 5 hours, with a

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 4:52pm

Hi Christine,

I'm not BTDT, but I'm from Canada so I thought I could pass along a couple of things.

For baby equipment rental, I don't remember where your family is specifically, but you can try Wee Travel if you'll be in Toronto, Vancouver, or Victoria (http://www.weetravel.ca/). If not, you can just Google "baby equipment rental Canada" and you should be able to find something.

For the Taxi thing, as far as I know car seats aren't required by law in taxis (same with buses). But, obviously it would be better to have one! You can call the taxi company ahead of time to see if they are able to supply one. Also, most infant car seats can be strapped into a car without the base. Not sure if you're still using one that size (or if you're even bringing one), but have a look at the instructions that came with it to see.

For the umbrella stroller - I've seen some that can be used as early as 3 months, but most say 6 months. However, I think it all depends on the harness system the stroller has and if the baby can sit up on their own, etc.. Your best bet would be to go to BRU or something and check them out.

I hope this helps!

Powered by CGISpy.com

I love the sig offers at SMFB

Powered by CGISpy.com

<
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 5:29pm

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks so much for the info - very helpful!! I forgot to mention that we'll be in Halifax, NS.

I can't believe you're 26 weeks already!! My

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2010 - 6:50pm

For the pack n play, if you're going to be there for a full week, it may be cheaper to just buy one (or have your aunt buy it in advance). When we did this, we had our family donate it after we left.

The Graco Quest stroller (which I highly recommend) we started using at 4 months, but it worked better at 6 months.

Some cab companies will provide a car seat. You could call around and see. Or, to solve both that and the stroller problem, you could get a carseat-stroller frame and take that instead.

For other tricks - nursing really is key. And some toys she really loves. Maybe even an ipod or something that does video (we don't usually do video, but airplanes are the main exception).

Good luck and have fun. I love Halifax so much, I'm jealous!

~Lorien

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Photobucket
~Lorien

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 3:58pm

Hi Lorien,

We're only going to be there for 3 nights at the most and my aunt doesn't have a car so it's not worth it to bring our own or make her go and buy one ahead of time.

I can't find the Graco Quest stroller online - did you mean

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 4:31pm

Sorry, braindead. Yes, the Maclaren Quest. We used the snugride+frame until 6 months, and the quest has been our only stroller since then, and I expect it to work until he's done his stroller days. So even though it was a little pricey (though nothing compared to some) it's been totally work it. And it's wheels are much better than a lot of the cheaper umbrella strollers. It's really sturdy.

In Halifax, I love the Maritime Museum. I also just love it as a city to walk around and explore. Both times I've been were part of longer Nova Scotia trips. Cape Breton is fantastic, but a bit of a hike. But it's all just gorgeous up there. Is she likes being in the Ergo, you could also look into doing some sort of day sail or whale watch.

~Lorien

Photobucket
~Lorien

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 6:49pm

Thanks for the tips! I've heard it's a very scenic city so I'm excited to see it.

One more question for you all...while I'm not very comforable with the idea of Selin riding in a cab without a car seat, if the cab shows up without one, what's the best way to buckle her up - in her own belt or inside the belt on my lap??

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2010 - 9:11pm

Seriously, there is no best way to buckle her in. There is no way she is safe just in a seat belt. The possibly minutely safer way is in her own seat belt, because if there is an accident she will just go flying rather then having your body weight slam into her first, but either way totally not safe.

And yes I know how horrible that sounds. We did take Desmond in a cab 3 times with no car seat at 8 weeks old, but I never felt safe about it, and I would never do it again.

Thank you for the sig Mary

babies

baby

pregnancy

Thank you for the sig Mary

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 2:02am
Anyway you can take a bus? As those are safe without carseats:)
Photobucket
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2010 - 9:33am
When this has come up for me, I've opted to wear him in the Ergo.
~Lorien

Photobucket
~Lorien

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-12-2010 - 11:44pm

Hi Lorien!

Just wanted to let you know that we had a fabulous time in Halifax! What a beautiful, quaint city! For some reason I can no longer

Pages