Feingold diet

iVillage Member
Feingold diet
Mon, 04-21-2008 - 6:29pm

Hello

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's posts! I am the Mom of two awesome kiddos, both with ADHD. Our boys (1st and 2nd grade) were adopted as toddlers and have a multitude of issues such as separation anxiety disorder, oppositional defiant disorder and visual motor delays. Both boys are on concerta and risperdal which has done wonders for their school performance, social skills and our quality of life as a family. However we still have a long way to go and recently a friend gave me a book "Nutrition and Attention Deficiet Disorder"

iVillage Member
In reply to: rodsmommy
Mon, 04-21-2008 - 9:22pm

HI, and welcome.

We have done the Feingold diet for years, it does work IMO, but it is hard in the beginning. We have also eliminated gluten, cassein, and we try to only eat foods that are in their natural state, meaning, if it doesn't look like an apple at the store, we aren't buying it. The only hard thing in the beginning is the large amount of things that are eliminated, but do eventually get added back over time.

The entire family has to be on the "diet" for it to work. It basically eliminates :

Artificial (synthetic) coloring

Artificial (synthetic) flavoring

Aspartame (Nutrasweet, an artificial sweetener)

Artificial (synthetic) preservatives BHA, BHT, TBHQ

Salicylates( oranges, grapes)

It also elinates fragrances,and non food items that contain "harmful ingredients", which is sometimes a trial when your kid HAS to have blue toothpaste, but it is doable.

You can check out their website, and also purchase the program at www.feingold.org

http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t44/teebee119/adhdribbon4.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">

A child may HAVE ADHD, but it is not what they ARE. Never tell a child they ARE ADHD.

iVillage Member
In reply to: rodsmommy
Tue, 04-22-2008 - 7:04pm

Thanks so much for your response, and I totally agree that the whole family needs to be on the diet for it to work. I wouldn't ask my kids to do something like this that I wouldn't do itself. DH and I have been working on healthy eating and weight loss so this can only help. :) Do you do the diet alone or combine it with meds? Our boys medication has taken them a long way, but we are hoping the diet will take them even farther.

Amy aka Rodney and Davy's Mama