~November Roll-Call~

iVillage Member
~November Roll-Call~
Tue, 11-01-2005 - 3:08pm

Another new month...It's time all of us regulars, newbies and lurkers to say hello.

While we are checking in why don't you tell everyone what your plans are for Thanksgiving Day...Do you cook? get any help in the kitchen? visit the in or out-laws? what's worth loosening your belt for on this day of food, friends and family?

You Were Born An Original...   Don't Die A Copy

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2005 - 3:21pm

Hi Everyone,
I'm Margie, 46, married for 29 years, one son 27 married with one child, one daughter 25 who has a S/O of 8 years-no children. I live in north central Texas (which I love) but a good chunk of my heart is still in Mass were I grew up.

This Thanksgivng I'll be cooking at home, eveyone in the family is invited but I hardly ever get a yey or nay so I just plan for everyone to show up and take some leftovers home. DH is a big help peeling butternut squash and basting the turkey but disappears when it's time to do the dishes.

The one thing I'm willing to pay the price for and enjoy on Thanksgiving day is my traditional bread and sausage stuffing. I don't even want to know the calorie/fat content I just want to enjoy it this one day.

Patty...I bet you thought I was going to say pumpkin pie didn't you. Heck, I don't just wnat to enjoy that on Turkey-day....I'll be savoring p-pie the entire month of November!

For the first time in 29 years we are going to celebrate around a table and room big enough to accomodate my family. I'm really looking forward to the entire holiday season.

Next...

You Were Born An Original...   Don't Die A Copy

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2005 - 3:51pm

Hi I am Bonnie, New here and very grateful for finding you all.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2005 - 5:31pm

Rhonda -- Jacksonville, FL

I have a wonderful husband, 29-yr. old daughter getting married this Saturday, a 16 1/2 yr. old son, and soon a new son-in-law. We have 4 house cats and 2 spoiled rotten Yorkies who keep us around just to keep the place up for them.

I love the beach, flower gardening, being out in the sun in general, riding bikes with DH, the beach, shoes, shopping, and spending time with the family (not necessarily in that order). :-)

The last few years our routine for Thanksgiving has been to have it at my sister's house, since she has a large house and table. She does appetizers, the turkey and usually cucumbers and sour cream. Mom does the mashed potatoes, a green veggie, homemade cranberry sauce, and some desserts. I do butternut squash supreme casserole, corn pudding, sausage and herb stuffing (and sometimes chestnuts in it), and a few desserts. Since the 3 of us split the cooking, it's not too much for any one person. We all chip in with clearing the table and doing dishes. Afterwards, we sit around semi-comatose watching football.

Who's next??

~~Rhonda~~

<

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2005 - 6:39pm

Patty in Va and guess what kind of pie I just had :) Married 23 yrs with one DS who will be 21 this Dec!Can't believe that!!

We have Thanksgiving at home with just the three of us before or after the actual day.I cook and clean up but the guys are great

Miss P

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-01-2005 - 9:33pm

I guess I can honestly say I am not a newbie anymore.....lol. I guess I haven't been that in a very long time. Well I am Debbie, co-cl of here. I live in Long Island, New York. I am married 24 1/2 years to Bill, we have 3 children. My oldest is Billy who will be 21 on this Thursday ( have trouble believing this), my middle son is Rob who turned 16 in July. My baby is Katie and she will be 12 in December.

Well looks like another year of Deb cooking the bird. I really do not mind but we don't get much company. My folks usually go to my sisters for dinner and just pop over for some coffee after. My inlaws are always here with us for holidays. They have no one else, since their daughter lives in CA. I just love homemade Apple Pie, and to me its worth the fat tummy. I enjoy that slice of pie with my warm cup of tea, after everything is cleaned up. The fireplace should be going and I should be able to relax right about then.

Thanks Margie!

cl-Deb

cl-Deb

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2005 - 7:45am

Donna here, from East Walpole, MA.

Donna

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2005 - 10:21am

This year will be a first!

“You can only grow if you’re willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable when you try something new.” -Brian Tracy
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2005 - 11:52am
Rick always love the leftovers too! Last year they did turkey breast at his family's home which was

Miss P

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2005 - 11:53am

Kathy, 40 years old living in Stoneham, Massachusetts (North of Boston) with my wonderful husband Jeff.

The Journey Is Just As Good As The Destination - A Dear Friend

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-02-2005 - 6:39pm

Susan from LI, NY. I've been married 28 years. 3 kids, Allison, 25 (soon to be 26 although she doesn't like to talk about it), NYC public school teacher presently teaching 1st grade, Laura, 24 presently living and working in MA and Phil age 20, currently working and attending night classes and the King of the house-Otto our 9 year old beagle.

Thanksgiving has always been at our house except for the year our oldest was born. She was due November 6 and didn't arrive until Nov.27 so we had to make plans to be anywhere but home but still close to home! The large group we used to have has dwindled Lots of prep work and cleaning up for me although my oldest is usually a big help. Stuffed mushrooms and my son's famous pizza bubble bread for appetizers, Big antipasto platter to start with, turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes that younger daughter mashes, homemae cranberry sauce and a variety of veggies to complete the meal. Homemade pumpkin and apple pies for dessert and usually a birthday cake for my daughter depending on when her birthday comes around Thanksgiving.

I have to say with all the prep work by the time I sit down to eat I don't have much of an appetite. I usually enjoy the leftovers the next day. Although last year when I opened the refrigerator to make a turkey sandwich I quickly realized I left the leftover turkey in the oven!

Susan

Pages