Hi Everyone...New Here!

iVillage Member
Hi Everyone...New Here!
Wed, 12-14-2005 - 1:41pm

Hi There,
I'm Michele, I'm 45 and I just rejoined Weight Watchers last week. I'm shooting for a 20lb loss by Spring and ideally another 10-20 lbs. by Summer. I lost 40lbs 6 years ago and my weigh in Thursday confirmed that I've regained 20. Could have been worse considering my weakness for fine Tex Mex and Mai Tai's;-P

My gym membership and the fact that I live in San Francisco without a car (walk EVERYWHERE) and I'm a bartender by day at Chevy's (big Tex Mex chain here in California) all keep me very active. Also I'm single and live alone so the food in my home is just for me. So I do believe that I've got the right tools to make this fitness goal a reality.

I do have a question for those of you who follow a regular gym routine as I've just bumped up to 3 days a week. I go to 24Hour Fitness and do a class called Strength and Endurance training which incorporates medium intensity aerobics with hand held weights and some barbell lifting. That class totally kicks my butt and I love it. My other gym day is one hour on the elliptical trainer for a 500 calorie burn. I just added a 3rd day with another class that's kinda like the jazzercise of old and includes hand held weights. Is doing two weight classes like that two days apart ok? ..If I'm still sore from Mondays class is Wednesday too soon to do another?

Any input would really be appreciated. I don't want to go overboard here, but I also know that now that I'm in my 40's it's gonna take more effort to get the same results I did in my 30's.

Thanks,
Michele

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-14-2005 - 2:31pm

Hi and welcome to the board.Sounds like you have a fantastic workout program.You are so right about it taking more work at this point in our lives.I'm not a fitness expert but I'm inclined to think the Monday - Wednesday classes are fine.Although I would say listen to your body and if you have

Miss P

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-15-2005 - 9:07pm
Hi Michele and welcome to Fit over Forty. You sound like you have a great game plan going between the healthy eating with Weight Watchers and going to the gym 3 days a week.

cl-Deb

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2005 - 12:01am
Hi Deb,
Thanks for the input...and you're right about looking at this as a journey. Although I know what I'd to see 2,4,6 months down the road I'm just taking the approach to do things that make me feel good on a day to day basis. I've noticed with the changes I've made to my food choices I'm feeling less weighed down and the increased activity, though it does make me hungrier and I eat more, I'm eating better and I just feel stronger.
I had my weigh in tonite at WW and I lost 4.8lbs this week:-) I went over my food point allotment, but the activity balanced it out.
I ended up not going to the SET class (strength & endurance training) because I knew I'd never make it through the ab and shoulders work, but I did go on an hour bike ride through Golden Gate Park instead.
Thanks for the welcome,
Michele
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-16-2005 - 11:02pm
Welcome to the board, Michele.
Nancy

"Make Choices that bring you joy"  cl-Patty

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-17-2005 - 1:47pm

Hi~! Wanted to welcome you to the board.

“You can only grow if you’re willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable when you try something new.” -Brian Tracy