new here and wanting to loose weight

iVillage Member
new here and wanting to loose weight
Tue, 01-10-2006 - 8:07am

Hello all,

I don't know where to start, but I would like to get some of your advice on the situation. Some tips and maybe you can point me to the right direction diet board. Okay, here it goes. I'm 43 years old from Germany, married, grandmother of 2 and extremely overweight. Currently I weigh 125 kilos (about 270 pounds). My husband and I have started a "diet" or more a calorie counting thing (I count and he eats what I give him)of 1500 to 1800 calories for me and 2000 to 2200 for him. So far, since we just started, I lost 2.2 pounds. My motabolism is shot and so I am loosing extremely slow. My problem is that we have no money for quality food. In other words, there is days in our week when we eat noodles with butter and garlic-salt. We have to eat cheap, but all the good food (diet-wise) is expensive, so we live on 85 cent pizza and whatever else is cheap and thus calorie rich and fatty and whatnot. For a while, while we were doing better financially I did Atkins with great success, but because of all the carbs I gained it all back of course, so now we are on the calorie-counting thing. I do try to buy some bell peppers and salad, if it is on sale, as long as it is not more than 1.50 Euros its okay. Anyway, you get the picture, that is why I count calories, cause I can't afford the other thing. I know it is not good, because I don't really change my eating habits, but what else can I do? Anyway... I need some support, some workout tips ... etc. So I decided to join here. I'm plugging along the best I can sofar it is working but eventually, when we are doing better financially, I would like to get a better diet with more greens, more quality meets and more fish. On top of it, my oven and my stove are broke, and so I have to nuke and slow-cook my food.

Okay, so much for an introduction .... :)

Sushi607 (one of my favorite foods)

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-10-2006 - 8:37am

Hello and welcome to the board. I understand your financial stress, food is indeed expensive. Pasta is indeed a cheap meal. Might I suggest a larger roast but one you can get several meals off of. I tend to make bigger roasts on Sunday and we get a second, sometimes a third meal off them. Have you been drinking water? Water helps boost your metabolism........drink it cold. Walking is another way to help. I wish you luck and encourage you to keep counting the calories. That does work and is manageable for many. Please post more and do not give up.

cl-Deb

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-10-2006 - 8:54am

hello and thank you for the welcome and the tips. I already learned something. Water... I didn't know that water boosts the motabolims. I'm gonna work on that. Matter of fact, I'm gonna get me some right after I'm done writing here. Friday I had made a stirfry with rice, hamburger meet, bell-pepper and I ate the rest of it yesterday at work for lunch. My mother in law was so sweet to buy me the fitday.com software, so keeping a food log is extremely easy. Anyway, about your question ... yes I walk. I don't have a car, so I walk a lot by necessity. In the morning I have to walk to the bus-stop, which, granted is just around the corner, but I have to walk to work and from it after I get off the bus, which is about 10 minutes from the bus-stop. Also, hubby and I often walk to the store, instead of taking the bus and if we miss the bus, we walk home, instead of waiting for the next. My problem is, that I don't burn at all. I have a trampolin which I use and I also live on the 4th floor, no elevator, 81 steps (LOL, I counted once). I walk up and down at least once a day and twice about 3 times a week. On good days I walk the stairs as much as 3 times or more. Oh, I also have a problem with excess water in my legs, because my lymphsystem is messed up. You know, when I look at all of this, I should be skinny.... go figure...

Sushi

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-10-2006 - 9:55am

According to Weight Watchers (can you tell what plan I use?) you should have 8 to 10 glass of water a day. Switch to brown rice instead of white rice. Try and eat whole grain bread instead of white bread. Try and cut back on the butter. Instead of chop meat can you buy chicken. Chicken here is so much less instead of beef and it can be cooked so many ways. Grilled, stirfry, slow roasted. Try a whole bird in the slow roaster. With just the two of you it would most likely be 2 meals. I often use the bones then to make soup. I use barley instead of noodles in my soup. Just simmer the bones for an hour, add some boullion cubes, cut up a few carrots and add some barley......whala soup. Again lots of luck! Did you say you were a grandmother already at the age of 43? How old are your grandbabies? I bet they keep you busy. Listen when I write out what I do on a daily basis I am amazed I have a weight problem too. Just try doing some weights while you are home. Lifting cans of soup are enough to start out. You walk alot already maybe you need to pick up the pace a little. Time yourself when climbing those stairs. See if you can cut back you time by a few seconds each time. Again good luck!

cl-Deb

cl-Deb

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-10-2006 - 10:29am

Yes, drinking is a real problem with me.... I know about the 8 to 10 glasses, but I keep forgetting to do it. I didn't know it boosts motabolism, although I read somewhere that it flushes out the fat you were loosing. We are using whole grain bread, living in Germany, I also like sourdough-bread, which is basically dark rye flour. On buying meat, I have to buy what is cheapest, but a whole chicken in the crockpot that is a good idea, since chicken is only around 3 Euros. Can't make soup, stovetop is broke. All I have is a Microwave and the crock-pot right now.... but we manage. I do count calories and when we have a freezer again (yes it is broke too), I want to get at least frozen veggies for casserole dishes. Hopefully then I'll be able to stock up on meat that is on sale.

I have 2 grandchildren :). Bryan will be 4 in February and Sarah is 8 months old. both are cute as a button.

I think I am going to take your advice on speeding things up... that is a good idea. Okay time to go home.

Sushi

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-10-2006 - 12:16pm
Hi! Deb has already given you some great advice so I'll

Miss P

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-12-2006 - 2:45pm

Hi sushi and welcome.

Nancy

"Make Choices that bring you joy"  cl-Patty

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-13-2006 - 1:59am

Hello everybody,

thank you all for your great advice. I have heard the can thing before, but a bag of rice is new to me. I suppose I could try that. We have 2 pound (i.e. 1 Kilo) boxes here. I could get one and lift weights like that. I have to figure out some sort of plan on how to put all of that into my busy schedule.... one step at a time. Right now I'm walking and focusing on eating right. Yesterday, being so sick and tierd of that old whole-wheat bread I bought some pumpernickel for myself and spread cream cheese on it and put a cucumber on top, sprinkling it with seasoning. Wow, that was aweseome. Had it for breakfast too LOL and wouldn't you know it, my good old fit-day software counted 150 calories only. Neat, isn't it. You know, I have done every diet in the book nothing ever worked, mostly because I think money is a big problem. Diets are expensive. You have to buy the expensive meats, the expensive veggies etc. Writing down seems to work pretty well. I don't have a TV :). So I am doing a lot of things that I otherwise would never do. Yesterday I started a quilt, piecing it together. Get up iron, sit down sew, get up iron, sit down sew... LOL... wonder how many calories that burns. Anyway, I have to run. Almost time for work.

Thanks again for all your help. Tomorrow is weigh-in day... I'll let you know.

Sushi

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-22-2006 - 9:29am
Since money is tight for you. You may try to buy a used weight watchers points book off of ebay. Counting points is much easier then counting calories and you can eat anything you just have to count points and eat the right serving sizes.
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-22-2006 - 10:20am
Being a WW follower myself I will say counting points and counting calories are very similar. However I must say if you eat 22 points using pretzels and other carbs the weight is going to take longer. A body needs vegtables and fruit!

cl-Deb

cl-Deb

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2006 - 8:33pm

Hey there, Sushi!

C