Hi Ladies... I'm New!!

iVillage Member
Hi Ladies... I'm New!!
Sat, 02-04-2006 - 11:54am

Hi Everyone!
My name is Lisa and I'm from Philadelphia. I turned 40 in June, have been with my husband for 17 years and have two spoiled rotton dogs.
On December 28th, I had an epiphany. Currently a size 16, I bought a pair of jeans to wear on dress-down Friday at work. I couldn't find the ones I adored in a 16, so I bought an 18 thinking that I would just pop them in the dryer to shrink and away I'd go.

Does anyone else NOT try clothes on in the store?

I tried them on at home to show my husband... and guess what? They didn't fit. Well, they fit if I wanted to look like an over-sized muffing :: y'know how the top of the muffin spills over the paper holder?? :: NOT the look I was going for.

My wonderful husband who loves me not matter what size, tried to convince me it was just "bloat" ... but I realized that even if that were true and even if Daisy Fuente's jeans run small I had an issue and I needed to take care of it.

So just in time for New Years resolutions, I made up my mind to not DIET... but to change my lifestyle.

It's been just over a month and I have been eating the "right" things ... mini multi-grain bagel/english muffin with natural peanut butter for breakfast, grapefruit or energy bar at mid morning, a sandwhich with multi-grain bread, spinach, hummus and turkey breast for lunch, fruit or something of the sort at mid afternoon and a dinner of chicken breast, vegetables and brown rice at dinner.

And water .. lottsa lottsa water!! My daily coffee consumption used to be about 6 or 7 cups DAILY ... now I'm down to 2 and never go anywhere without my water bottle.

I started walking during my lunch, no matter what the weather is like and am up to 2 miles daily.. I do a 20 minute routine on the eliptical bike when I come home from work and have started to introduce weights.

I refuse to be a slave to the scale but I can tell you that I started out at 206.6 and at my last sneaking peek, was 199.4.

Instead of concentrating on my "weight", I'm focusing on how I feel ... and that's 100% better then I did last month. My energy (and libido) have skyrocketed. My skin is softer, my complexion has cleared and gross as it may sound, my body odor is almost non-existent. I may be sharing too much here but we're all women right??? ;)

Personally, for ME, I will not put a "diet" pill or "aid" in my mouth. I know that I didn't pack on all this weight overnight and won't be able to take it off in a healthy fashion over night .. and I'm okay with that.

Not to get all Sally Field-ish but I like ME now. I now see the tomorrows as new horizons and not as days to hide because I was unhappy with myself and weight.

In the beginning, I had to push myself mentally to take that walk but now, if I look forward to it. I work with a few morbidly obese women who laugh at me for changing my lifestyle. I refer to them as the "health-terrorists" because they keep trying to sabatoge my progress!!! :) LOL!! But hopefully, they'll have their own epiphany's and realize that anything is obtainable if you dedicate yourself to it.

LOL ... sorry, I should have warned you that not only do I have a habit of sharing too much, I also talk alot!!!

Thanks for reading!!

~ Lisa

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-04-2006 - 1:31pm

Hello and welcome Lisa! Congratulations on your accomplishments! I love your positive attitude and outlook on your road to a new you!

Hope you'll continue posting here and look forward to getting to know you better!

Susan

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-05-2006 - 7:32am
WOW Lisa...what huge strides you are making.

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-06-2006 - 10:23am

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the board.

You Were Born An Original...   Don't Die A Copy

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-07-2006 - 9:56pm
Welcome to the board.
Nancy

"Make Choices that bring you joy"  cl-Patty

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2006 - 8:34pm

Hi there, Lisa!

C

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-22-2006 - 8:13am
Hi Lisa,
I'm new to the board and just read your posting. Wow, what a great story! How are you doing these days? Still at it I hope. I thought of myself when you ended with "I share a lot and talk a lot". That's sooo me. I'm turning 40 in August and fitness is now a part of my life. I was the overweight kid in high school...not too bad but I wasn't getting any dates to say the least. Anyway, I organized our 20th high school reunion a few years back and felt GREAT going thinking "I was going to show them" since changing my lifestyle I've maintained a size 4 - 6. In high school I was a size 14. Anyway, several people at the reunion looked great however a lot had let them selves go...those that I'd never imagine would be overweight now were. Well, I now thought "I'd show them", I felt sorry for them in a way because now that we're all a little older it's going to harder to get rid of that weight and change lifestyles. So I'd rather have been overweight in high school and fit in my later years any day. I love your story and would be interested in hearing how you're doing. By the way, I live in Wilmington, NC by way of Washington D.C area. I'm married (13yrs), have 2 kids, work full time, attend school part time and teach an exercise class 2-3 times a week. Would love to hear from ya! - Karen
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-30-2006 - 3:35pm

Hi Lisa!

I'm new too! I ABSOLUTELY ADORE YOU! You have such a great attitude and I feel like that letter could be written by me. Although I must admit that I'm not brave enough to even buy a pair of jeans no matter what size I know what you mean about the muffin thing.

I can't wait to read your posts during your journey and I'll keep you updated on mine. I just started about 10 minutes ago.

Have a great day!!!!!

Gail