I can''t be the only one

iVillage Member
I can''t be the only one
Wed, 02-15-2006 - 7:30pm

Hi ladies
I am new here, I signed up a long time ago with ivillage but never seemed to have the time, now I am making time.

I am going to be 40 in a couple of weeks. I was just wondering what others are doing to try to lose weight, healthly skin. Starting to feel old...

Edited 2/16/2006 12:55 pm ET by milfmom
iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2006 - 6:46am

Hi, I saw your post yesterday and my reply wouldn't post.Sorry!! Reading it , it sounded like you are doing everything right so I know it must be discouraging.A few of us have

Miss P

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2006 - 8:18am
Hi there and welcome to FOF. This is a great place for lots of support, ideas, motivation, encouragement and lets face it we are all over the age of 40. You know what I love being in my 40's. I will admit I was not happy about it when the event rolled around but now 44 going on 45 my life is good. My body may not be but my mind is in a good place. I am proud of the woman I have become, the journey to get there and the mom I am today. Please do not feel old, you have alot of living to do yet. Hang around and I bet we can make you change your mind. We look forward to getting to know more about you.

cl-Deb

cl-Deb

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-17-2006 - 1:16pm
Kewl encouragement, cl Deb!,
It is a good feeling when you know who you are and your strengths...
Dee
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2006 - 8:25am

Welcome to the board.

Nancy

"Make Choices that bring you joy"  cl-Patty

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2006 - 4:43pm

You are right, I am at a stage of my life that I am very confidnet and I know exactly who I am. My family is beautful and I have a good career. Stressful sometimes but very good to me.

I have worked so hard in the past to get to a healthy weight and I was on top of the world. I had my son and found a new top of the world. I had no idea how joyful he would be. I had him at 36. It has taken me a couple of years to balance my career choice(got a job promtion a yr ago) I am taking classes to further develop my career, I have an 11 yr old step son with downs that we get him envolved in special olympics year round. So I keep pretty busy and I end of putting myself on the back burner. I have lost about 15 lbs but it took me a year, I wear a smaller size around the waist but I have trouble with my legs, they are being stubborn and it keeps me from wearing many things.

I have to exercise often or my back really hurts, I was in a car accident at an early age and one of my disc's in my back is destroyed. I am not ready to go major surgery so if I keep the muscles stong in my back I do okay. but the added weight is making it tough. I know I will get there but my patience is geting thin.

Thank you for the motivation, I sometimes forget how fortunate I am..

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2006 - 8:29pm
Happy Birthday early! I turned 45 this year and most of the time I like it. I didnt like it when I turned 40 because it just sounded so old and I really didnt feel old. It seems like once you turn 40, you get to stop and take a breath and look back, just once, dont dwell on it, just take a quick peek back. Once you take that look, make a list of the things you still wish to accomplish. I find myself having a little more time (not much) but some time to do the things for me I should have done before. THe only advice I have for you is to keep active, find something you really enjoy doing and keep it up. I excercise and challenge myself all the time. Take some time for you and listen to your favorite music. Dont give up junk food, just make small changes a little at a time so that you dont feel deprived, and give yourself a hug each day and know that you being here does make a difference. So, Happy Birthday and welcome! I do think I am better now that I was when I was 20 although about 50 pounds heavier, but that is alright. Have fun you are about to take on your next adventure!
iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2006 - 8:35pm

Hi there!

C

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-18-2006 - 10:47pm

Hello! iVillage is a great place! I love it :)

I'm 42 and looking back..I think I felt worse about turning 30 than I did turning 40.
I feel more comfortable with myself and happier now with where I am in my life right now.

I have been fortunate in that I've been able to maintain my ideal weight for the last 15 years. I take ballet class twice a week ( have done this for 7 years) and I go to the gym and do some cardio workout stuff (variety is key here) for at least 25 minutes (sometimes it's more and sometimes it's just all I can do) when the weather is nice i try to get outside on my mountain bike or go walking. flexibility is a good thing and I think this helps a lot with everything...in ballet class we spend a lot of time stretching but only when we are completely warmed up. Ballet and aerobic exercise keep my legs and core( abdominals and lower back) in great shape but I do some chin-ups, dips and push-ups for upper body strength.
I'm an lacto-ovo vegetarian and try to eat as much fresh fruit and vegetables as I can and I limit the cooked foods. I do eat treats but save these for one day a week. I do have weeks that are totally "off the wagon" but I am human after all ;)
I spent about 10 years working in the cosmetics industry and i can honestly tell you that there are no miracle creams out there. Keep you skin clean , eat healthy foods and dry brush your skin for a natural glow. Good makeup, applied correctly can help minimize imperfections and help you feel a lot better about how you look. A good haircut can really help too!

I think it's normal to look in the mirror some days and feel "old" ...especially when I see a few chin hairs peeking out at me!Yikes!!
I try not to let it get me down.

I look around and see that i'm pretty good and do a lot more to take care of myself than a lot of people much younger.

Nathalie