Your period post-abortion?

iVillage Member
Your period post-abortion?
Tue, 11-09-2004 - 9:50pm
I'm just looking for some info. I had a (surgical) abortion 2 months ago. I got my period 29 days later; right on time. I'm having the second period since the ab now, and it started a few days late but no big deal.

The thing is, last month and now again, my period is SO much heavier than it used to be. I never used to bleed like this. I didn't even bleed this much after the abortion. The cramps aren't any worse, but the bleeding is bothering me, because I used to have just one heavy flow day, and now EVERY day is a heavy flow day. My period used to last only 4 or 5 days. Last month my period lasted a full 8 days, and it looks like this one will be the same.

The weird thing is, I went on the mini-pill after the ab, which is supposed to make your periods lighter--but that ain't happening.

I know that this isn't abnormal after an abortion, so I'm not worried. I'm just annoyed. God knows I'd rather have a heavy period than not get it at all, but I'm wondering if I'll ever get my nice, normal periods back again. So my question is, after your abortion, did your period ever go back to normal, or was it always heavier or different than before? Any info is appreciated.

I wish all of you the best...

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-09-2004 - 10:01pm
I'm not sure...my surgical was 2 1/2 weeks ago, so I think my current bleeding is still from that (it hasn't stopped yet). I think you may want to call your clinic and ask them why your periods are heavier instead of lighter. It might just be a temporary thing...

Wish I could help you more, but I'm too early in the stages to advise. I'm also on Depo-Provera (the injection) which probably has totally different effects than your pills. So far I have had no effects, not even weight gain...actually I am having a hard time gaining my weight back after the surgery :(

iVillage Member
Sun, 11-14-2004 - 2:14pm
I had a surgical abortion a few months ago. I had light bleeding right afterwards and my next period didn't come for six weeks. That period was a lot heavier than normal and lasted a little longer, but my periods have gradually gone back to normal since then. If you're concerned, you should call the clinic.