Running on the Treadmill

iVillage Member
Running on the Treadmill
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:16pm
I finally got into it and ran a mile. I felt fine and could have gone longer, but I was so bored! What do you all do when you're on the treadmill? Watching those numbers go up only keeps my attention for so long! I have the same problem w/ the rower. I like the crosstrainer, stairmaster and bike because I can read.

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:21pm
i always listen to music. i ran on the treadmill twice this weekend...i think next weekend i'm going to take it outside! that will be less boring for sure.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:25pm
What kind of headset do you use? I got a digital radio w/ ear pieces at Christmas-time (cheap when you spend as much as I did there). I always forget to bring it to the gym, but I wonder if the ear things would fall out. Then, I'd have to find a good station--my favorite station is "scan".

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:35pm
My gym has TV's, so I either watch TV or listen to headphones. And then there's scoping out the rest of the gymmates....and decompression and pipe-dreaming...and thinking about recipes....lol...

If all else fails, the TV works for me!

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:36pm
i'm a flipper too, in the car! i have a little radio that i can clip on to my waistband, strap on to my arm, or rest on the machine and use "sport" earphones inherited from my bf - i think they cost about $15, and they fit inside the little flappy bone (the tragus for people who know anatomy or cartiledge piercings!) on the forward part of your ear, so they stay in nice and secure. they are slighly different from the normal earphones you just stick in and hope they stay (but they don't). i keep it on the pop station - i like that kind of music and it's pretty good to exercise to.

i'm in the habit of remembering it now, but i used to keep it with my membership card, which would help me remember it. other options are a cd player or a digital music player, like an ipod. i got my bf an ipod for xmas and he always brings it to the gym...so he has a selection of up to 4000 songs while he's working out!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:38pm
A TV would help. The treadmill faces out the window, over the Bay. It's pretty to watch for a few minutes. That's all you can see on the treadmill. Well, there are some that face mirrors, but that would be distracting--I'd rather not know what I look like while I work out!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:55pm
Yep, I watch the TV's. I'm actually becoming a gym tv junkie. Working out with Marines during the war means live coverage of every news station out there. 5 sets on each side of the gym so I "scan" the newscasts while listening to the radio (all are on subtitles). I get tense at home with only one news channel on at a time!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 3:15pm
Oooh, that must be intense with the gym tv's. I can't watch the news these days and have to ask my husband for updates.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 4:24pm
I solve my problems in life.....but whatever it is you're going to do - it's really not going to be any "better" out on the road once you get there and you find routes you like and everything else. So, it is important to remember that the workout today is in pursuit of tomorrow's dreams, while it solves today's problems and issues...and leaves you feeling vitalized and empowered mentally, spiritually, physically and emotionally. Otherwise - you quit doing it altogether.

Erin

quickblade14@hotmail.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 5:23pm
That's very true and probably the reason I haven't kept up with running over the years. I've just added running again as another way to crosstrain. I'm going to give it a few months and if I don't enjoy it then, I'll do something else. There are too many ways to work out to stick with one that I don't enjoy.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 9:09pm
I love walking on the treadmill and I usually read on it! It makes the time go sooooo much faster. Obviously you can't run on the treadmill and read at the same time; that's kind of a dilemma. Maybe spend about 15 minutes running on the treadmill and then move on to something else, so you don't get bored.

Pages