**CONGRATS KIERVIN!!!!**

iVillage Member
**CONGRATS KIERVIN!!!!**
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:25pm
on finishing your degree!! that's an amazing acheivement!! (nt)
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 3:25pm
i did an internship as a domestic violence victim advocate (though victim isn't a very pc word anymore!) -- that is a paid position (though my internship wasn't paid). your degree would make you well qualified for that, and it was a pretty cool job - you met with people (usually women) whose spouse/partner had just been arrested and evaluated their needs. you referred them to a shelter if necessary and made recommendations to the court employed social workers who would help them with any social services they needed (housing subsidies, divorce assistance, etc.)...then you made a recommendation and report to the prosecutor about what should be done with the offender, information relevant to whether he should get bail, etc....finally you accompanied the woman to court (if she decided to go) so she'd have moral support or went to court as her representative if she didn't go. it's a very intense job but VERY satisfying.

i also did an intership in child abuse and neglect for the dc govt (mostly termination of parental rights) - there were paid child advocates working for the courts there.

police officer is a good idea too...

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 3:13pm
Those are great ideas, jen. There's a volunteer program called CASA (court appointed special advocate) where they assign an adult to make sure a child is taken care of through whatever court proceedings he/she are going through and making sure the emotional needs are met. There are probably paid positions through programs like that. I'm a big proponent of child advocacy because they're an unheard voice (animals, too).

Don't you also need a degree like that to be a police officer? With your newly toned body, you'd be great!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 2:01pm
i'm not sure really what your degree covers, or what aspects of it interest you, but what about working for a court diversion program? or being a court advocate for victims of domestic violence and/or abused&neglected children?
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:52pm
Thank you! And Jean, you didn't really miss anything, I put it in my profile because I'm so happy. It is official... as of today! My last class meeting is tonight, to turn in my final project and final exam. I'm now done with my BA in Justice Administration. Of course, given the speed at which HPU moves it will be two more months before the diploma hits my hands and May 14th before I march, and boy do I plan to march... but, I'm done with everything but the celebrating now!

Now, does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do with the degree since I've decided against law school? Or, do any of you know any editors who need a good fantasy/romance novel or three?

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:27pm
Okay, I'm still getting used to this format and somehow missed this. Congratulations, kiervin! What a year of accomplishments for you!!!