OT: who was it that likes hip hop?

iVillage Member
OT: who was it that likes hip hop?
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:54pm
sorry, i don't remember which one of y'all said she liked hip hop...anyway, this is totally off topic, but i REALLY like that song by nas: "i can" (it's on the radio now, that's what made me think of it!).... i really like that it has such a positive message, and it's a good song musically, too. i'm glad it got so popular.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 2:20pm
I like it but I don't like the underlying theme... because we were turned into slaves from the Europeans we must overcome this sterotype and work hard to prove ourselves.

The rest of it is good minus that undertone. It is a postive change to most of hip hop though and that I do like.

Alana

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 2:53pm
i didn't think it was saying anything about proving yourself, i interpreted it as saying "realize your full potential."
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 3:04pm
I said I liked hip hop. I have to be honest, I like the beat and the dance, but I rarely listen to lyrics to any song. I remember being in the Bahamas and there was a song I liked a lot--good beat, catchy tune. I told my friend who asked, "Have you listened to the words? It says 'She's big and she's fat and I like her like that'!" I'm terrible at the game where someone names lyrics and you name the song.

I also don't listen to new music anymore--I'm getting old! That sounds like a cool message, though--to achieve your full potential, despite the past.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 3:16pm
speaking of getting old, it cracks me up that i like the oldies station now!! when i was young oldies were like the big bopper, whoever that is, and every song had the words "teen angel" in it -- i hated oldies!! now oldies are awesome - it's all motown, disco, petula clark -- you hardly ever hear that teen angel crud. it cracks me up what is considered "classic rock" these days too - whitesnake is classic rock now! yup, i'm old. but i still like new music. i invented a car game where you flip the radio and the first person to name the song and artist gets a point, then you flip the station again...i ROCK at it, because i know songs on almost every station - 80's, country, oldies, classic rock, pop, hip hop. the only station my bf can usually get points on are the regular (new) rock stations, and sometimes he gets points on the classic rock stations too, but i'm the undisputed champion! plus i can recognize them quickly, some in just a couple notes.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:28am
Sounds like a fun game, but since my antenna is missing that game wouldn't work to well for me. Unless we sang. Unfortunately my repetoire consists mostly of popular music from about 1900-1950, jazz, old show tunes & motown. Few would be able to guess my selections & I'd likely have trouble w/ any pop, rock or dance music that came out after the late 1960s (although thanks to my son I know every clean version of Eminem songs).
Soleilune
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 12:37pm
lol! that makes me smile thinking about you singing classic pop, jazz, show tunes and then breaking out in an eminem song! (nt)
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 7:47am
Yep, that's me. Maybe I'll trying rapping the show tunes for variety. n/t
Soleilune