Eliptical Addiction!!!

iVillage Member
Eliptical Addiction!!!
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 7:33pm
for the past year & a half, i have been attending the gym almost religiously (7 days a week for 1-2hrs a day)... and my absolute favorite thing to do is the Eliptical machine. I could spend hours on that machine but only do 40 minutes.. I have been recently been informed that it is unhealthy to do cardio that much. But if I enjoy doing cardio, how can it be unhealthy. Walking is considered cardio, but we do that pretty much all day.

I'm Very Confused and would like to know if anyone knows the truth about cardio!!!!
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 7:45pm
How does your body feel? I think that's a good way to tell. Seven days a week 1-2 hours a day is a lot, but competitive athletes do it. Your body may perform better if you take a day off during the week. Maybe you can give it a try and see. If it doesn't, your body may be fine working out that much. The elliptical is also easier on the joints.

Welcome, BTW! Are you a football fan?

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 8:53pm
How much is too much? I forgot to add this before. Here's a good quiz to let you know if you work out too much. Mostly, it goes back to listening to your body.

http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handouts/exercisehowmuch.html

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 11:46pm
And on the seventh day---rest!!! Well, listen to your body first. I workout 6x a week, and Sundays are my rest day. I'll do yoga, stretches or Pilates only on Sundays. But I've found with a heavy fitness schedule, my body needs the recovery day.

Deb

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:20am
40 min. of cardio/day is fine if you are varying the intensity, enjoy it & your body isn't sending up warning flares. I'd like to know what other things you do to make up that 1-2 hours daily. 7 days a week of straight cardio & weights is unsafe, but you didn't specify what you do other than cardio. Too many people don't realize that rest is AS important as the exercise itself. Exercise creates stress on the body & the body changes/improves as a result of adapting to that stress. To do this safely & effectively the body needs time to recuperate or you'll end up injured or permanently 'plateaued'. Active rest (yoga, pilates, etc.) is fine (if your body isn't making any complaints that is). However, you cannot safely & effectively develop fitness if you're doing HIGH intensity cardio every day and/or doing resistance work for the same muscles day after day.

Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck & take care.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:30am
I used to do the ellipitcal crosstrainer every day too. If you really love the machine but still want to mix it up a little, try doing intervals on the crosstrainer. Do 3 minutes at a steep incline and 175 revolutions per minute. Rest for a minute or two at 125 or 150 rpm and at a lower incline. You can vary your workout and still continue to use the machine you love. You'll be fine. Just continue to challenge yourself. Remember, you want your workouts to be challenging. You should be ABLE to talk but not really want to talk while you're working out.