Cross your fingers for me!

iVillage Member
Cross your fingers for me!
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 11:18am
I've missed two weeks of weigh ins at L3L due to the tattoo and the war. I'm heading out and hoping to heck that I break that 5 pound plateau today. I'm doing this one pound at a time of course, but set my goals in 5 pound increments... I'm close and hope to break another increment today!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 12:32pm
i'll cross them if you want, but you don't need luck, because you are a kick butt fitness queen, and that's regardless of what the scale says today!
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 2:20pm
I'll ditto what jen says. For all the hard work that you've been doing, who needs luck? BTW, what is L3L? You might have already told us and I totally blanked. Thanks.

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:38pm
I didn't do it! Maybe next week. I was just about 3/4 of a pound off.

L3L is Lean Lite. Actually it is some huge acronym that I never learned. The program was developed for seriously overweight/obese military family members in Hawaii. You have to give a one year committment to get in, and be referred by a doctor. They start by giving a full physical and clearing you for exercise. After that you go through a week long (40 hour) set of classes. You get diet, basic nutrition, physiology, exercise, etc., it is very holistic! Then you set goals with a nutritionist/doctor and psychologist. You can go in to visit either Tuesday night or Thursday morning. There is a scale if you "want" to weigh yourself and tracking programs on palm pilots for each of us. I weigh myself there the same time every week, so it is my "home" scale for tracking loss. Doc Earles developed the program, he's a psychologist and the person I meet with weekly. He helps us tweek our goals and administers the drugs for those who choose to take them (I DON'T). I guess the only thing I don't like about the program is that they offer drugs. It is sort of that magic bullet approach that I wanted to avoid, which is why I went to my primary care doc in the first place. I needed help with goal setting! My long term goals are simple. Maintain a healthy lifestyle and exercise program for the year and beyond. I've yet to set a final weight goal. I know that at some point I'll need to do that. Right now I'm going with the five pound increment thing. I was overweight enough when I started that it was a fine way to do it. I'm still heavy enough not to have to worry about a stop point, so I won't! I'd love to get into a size 10 (shrugs), but weight is more elusive for me. I keep getting disbelief when I tell people how much I weight right now. Which is amazing because only a fool would see me as anything less than "severly overweight".

Anyway, it is a great program. I've learned alot from it, including how to fail if I'm not careful. From my 10 person L3L group I'm the only participant still active. I'm the only one going to the gym and working with the free trainers there. It is sad, because some of them had less to lose than me and would be there already had they stayed, but their hearts weren't there yet.

~K~

~Kiervin~

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 9:44am
That sounds like a great program! I wonder why they don't have it elsewhere. That would be a cool program to introduce to all bases, especially if they offer child care. It's so hard for all the spouses to work out, esp. when their spouse is deployed and they're home alone w/ the kids. (Do you hear the wheels churning in my head?). Is there a charge for the program?

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:13am
No child care! You are on your own, they educate you and support you to a point but the responsibility is on you to figure out how to get those limiting factors out of the way. It is very empowering for some of the girls who have never been in a position to make decisions. Though, guidance and advice is freely given to those in that situation!

It is still very new. The program is two years old and as I said developed by the doctor who is running it here. It is fabulous, really I can't say enough good things about it. Apparently there is a chance of it running in other army hospitals soon, that is why he will be leaving.

FYI, all of the gyms in Hawaii have babysitting co-ops. You have to work two days a week for 3 hours and can use it the rest of the month for free. Because of our remote location all of the military YMCA's also have "drop-in" care that runs about 2.00 an hour per child. I used ours when my kids were young because it was stable and well run.

As for L3L, there is no charge, it is under the auspices of Tricare Prime (I guess that is a limiting factor huh? you have to be a prime member). They have a different one for military members who are over fat ratio. It is a one year committment and they work hard to weed out those who are giving lip service before enrolling them. Proactive people are given priority.

I love the program, it has helped me with so much. Not just the obvious educational value, but because it is so holistic. When my father died I went for my weigh-in and had a minor breakdown, there were tissues and hugs and love from everyone in there. The doctor followed up by phone with me twice to make sure I was ok and see if I needed to talk. Stuff like that is typical. We swap recipes, talk story and generally support one another. I'm even trying to set up a "clothes swap" since many of us are walking around in baggy stuff and come in all sizes from about 12 to 30.

I'd love to set up a civilian equivalent in a gym. Honestly, there has been so much good that I've seen that to open it up to others outside the military system would be cool. Of course, I don't have that kind of capital. (wheels start turning, you know, my mom just asked me what I want for graduation... How about a gym mom?)

~K~

~Kiervin~

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 11:23am
I took a healthy eating class through a gym once and the prerequisite to it was that you had to be going to the gym. I can't believe more places don't emphasize both. How about Weight Watchers joining with Curves for special deals? Are there any programs that do both, commercially? I can't think of any. That program sounds awesome, esp. since it seems the military is often behind the eight ball on health programs.