I love you too Jen and ALL the gym rats!

iVillage Member
I love you too Jen and ALL the gym rats!
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 12:26pm
I totally agree with you... no where else in my ONL (on-line life) do I feel more close to a group of people then here. I am so glad I decided to join ivillage as a CL. You girls are a special group of people that I am privilaged to call my friends. AWWWW how sweet... okay I had to say it.

Alana

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 2:23pm
Count me in, too! I don't have a cicle of friends in real life who I can talk to about working out and who give me such great feedback/advice about it. Thanks, everyone!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 5:43pm
I miss you girls! I'm feeling bad because I can't participate as much as I did, between being up to my ears in work at work, studying at home, and with the new board format I'm trying to keep up with the 1 1/2 boards I host and help people along....arrrrgghhh.

I feel the void, not being able to be social with you, I also have a girlfriend shortage that iVillage fills and I can't talk to my SO about working out ALL the time... It would have sounded strange even 5 years ago to have friends that weren't IRL (in real-life) that you talk to more often than your IRL friends, but these days...I'm comfortable here with you guys.

I appreciate all the motivation that I get from you and after April 11 I'll be training for that bike ride with my dad (through Wisconsin)! Back to fitness! I can't wait...

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 5:59pm
5 years ago! 5 years ago i had never used the internet or written an email, the thought of a message board had never even crossed my mind!! that is kinda crazy to think about how much our culture has changed in the last 5 years. we miss you too judie, we'll be around when you have more time! hope the studying is going well.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 7:15pm
You women have all been awesome. Even though I've only been around a short time I really enjoy coming to this board. Reading the posts has become part of my routine. I drink my coffee after the gym, check my mail, and enter my progress in my fitness notebook. Unfortunately I don't get to post as much as I'd like. My only computer is at my business and I get booted off every time the phone rings, so unless it's later at night, it seems everytime I get half way through a post I get kicked off the computer! Anyway, you all have been awesome and helping me keep with it, even if I don't get to post all that often!

Thanks! :)
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:17pm
It is really nice to find a home like this. I probably mentioned this before but I ended up losing my entire critique group when I shared my desire to work out and get into shape. They were an online group and one of them posted her "concern" about her "friend" on one of the writing boards. She basically called me insecure and depressed/unhappy and said she hated to think what would happen when I failed. Well, since I was the only one in our critique group who had decided to make such a change it was obviously about me. It got ugly. Eventually the fall out took out the entire group and left me uncomfortable talking about fitness with anyone. There is the "why aren't you happy how you are" from others or the "you're fine how you are" or whatever they choose to say that makes you feel crappy for wanting to change what isn't working. It has meant more to me than you will ever know to find a group with the same feelings about fitness. Now if only you guys wrote, my life would be complete. Because right now I'm not connected with any writers.

Either way, all is good, and you all are the best workout buddies. Especially because I don't have to wait for you to get off the equipment so I can use it!

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 2:32pm
Where in Wisconsin? I was born there, but we left when I was two. You'll have to tell me what's its like when you get back. And really, how cool is that - a bike trip w/ your dad!

Good luck & take care.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 2:54pm
Well, my sentiments are up on the website for all to see. I have to add to the love-in by pointing out what a wonderful, pleasant surprise it is to find a board like this so supportive. A lot of fitness boards are dominated by folks that are insecure & can get pretty catty as a result.

Keirvin's comments got me thinking about the Breast Cancer board. I went there looking for info & feedback when I was going through diagnosis & was repeatedly brushed off & actually had a few people rip a strip off me because some of my pettier concerns in regards to what the results of surgery might be. Oh, they're very supportive of those diagnosed w/ cancer, but rather elitist towards anyone else. When I was diagnosed I never went back & told them the results (I wouldn't have minded putting them in their place, but I'm not like that). I couldn't stand the thought of the hypocrisy. I'm sure they would've been all ears, w/ hankies held out, now that I'm part of the sorority. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take you wonderful, unbelievably supportive & outgoing women any day. Kudos for having your heads on straight. And Keirvin, those others were right in part. We all need to accept & love ourselves as we are, but they've forgotten that its human nature to strive for something better. They don't realize that wanting to make some changes & improve yourself is a sign of self esteem, not a lack of it. And you're doing great, we're so glad you found us. By the by, Jean, you seem to have usurped my self proclaimed position as board cheerleader. You're doing such great job of it though that I am happy to share. ;-)

Good luck all & take care.

Soleilune
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 3:48pm
That's so funny, sometimes I feel like Pollyanna or Julie McCoy, your cruise director! I really do get excited when people accomplish new things. It's not all unselfish because it gets me motivated when I see what people do when they put their minds to it. I love the people on this board or I wouldn't have agreed to be cl. Like you, I have been to other boards that aren't as open to others. If I can make everyone feel like this is an open, supportive place, I'll be happy with being cl. Okay, that's pollyanna-ish enough and please let me know what I can do to make your cruise enjoyable!;-)

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 3:56pm
We're starting in Watertown, going through Ripon, Osh Kosh, and some other towns, staying in a different one every night for 5 nights and 6 days. It's something my dad does every year since I was a little kid, and he's been asking me for about 5 years when I was going to go with him! I figured out, after my twin had a baby (which changed her life more than either of us ever imagined), I had some health issues, and my grandpa's sudden cancer diagnosis, that I'd best not put off ANYTHING that I want to do while I still have the time, the health, and my father to do them with. So that made my decision, and he is SO excited, in his own very quiet way. He called me last weekend to find out if I'd been on my bike yet and wanted to know if I'd gotten my ride information yet and to talk about how to train for the ride and maybe he could come up to Chicagoland to train with me.... He's practically jumping up and down inside! It's going to be a super challenge to get my butt in shape, we'll be riding about 65 miles a day.

I'll be taking a camera in my bike bag, so there should be pictures when I get back! It's not until this summer, though, so you'll have to be patient!

You gotta like a love-fest! :)

Judie

Judie Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 4:00pm
This is advice I'd put on my list of good ones: "that I'd best not put off ANYTHING that I want to do while I still have the time, the health..." I really believe that, though living it takes an extra push that I still need sometimes. Thanks for good thoughts.