Erika, re: playground workouts

iVillage Member
Erika, re: playground workouts
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 1:32pm
I forgot where I read this so I thought I'd start a new thread. I agree--you can get a great workout running around the playground. I do lunges on the stairs, climb the pole (why was that so easy when I was little???), do the monkey bars (another thing that was easy when I was little), try pull ups/chin ups, jumping on and off the merry go round, swings (works the abs), and playing "tag". And, a really good abs workout is hanging on the monkey bars while the youngest one is hanging on your legs. Try doing a "washing machine" circular movement with your legs. I think kids call it a milkshake. I probably look like the lunatic mother out there, but I'd rather be the lunatic mother running around than the mother sitting down chatting. If you can't get to the gym, just get to the playground, especially as the weather gets warmer! Also, in all the years I've worked out, the time I went the least was when the kids were little. Hang in there!

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 1:39pm
That is so much fun! I look like even more of a lunatic because I play on the playground and I don't even have any kids! (I usually take my dog and/or my nieces.) You're right, I can't remember ever being out of breath playing on the playground 20 years ago. Boy, how things change!
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 3:50pm
Let's hear it for being lunatics once in awhile! Another thing that's gotten harder is jumprope! I never looked at a clock to see when I could stop jumping when I was younger. How can two minutes seem so long?

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 11:23am
LOL. You guys are too funny. You know, we are big buffs of play too. Well, hubby always was, I just rediscovered it. I do feel foolish though hanging from the monkey bars not budging while sweaty and red-faced trying to do that pull up that I don't think I'll ever get. Of course, my poor kids are mortified!

~K~

~Kiervin~

Co-author of:  MONSTER'S INK HORROR ANTHOLOGY By Cyber-Pulp Press

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 12:26pm
I was thinking the same thing about my pull up attempts, though my kids are too young to notice! And, it was hard work pulling myself up the pole while these little five year olds just shimmy up. I guess I also have the advantage of going during the day when only pre-schoolers are out. I do have the fear of knocking one down, though.